Moore begins retirement after 28 years as dean of libraries

tom_moore

Dean of Libraries Tom Moore.

After spending 28 years as the Dean of Libraries at Central Michigan University, Tom Moore is taking his first steps into retired life.

After his tenure at CMU ended on June 30 — the longest tenure of any CMU dean — Moore said he's been handling the business of retirement like securing health insurance. Beyond that, Moore said he has simply been enjoying the freedoms of retirement.

"It's nice to be able to say 'Hey, I think I'll just go for a walk today whenever I want,' or 'I'll have that long lunch with wine with friends. I'll do what I like,' " he said.

The Belmont Abbey College alumnus called it a privilege, saying "I'm aware not everyone has the advantages I've been given. Not everyone gets to retire."

Now with more time to spend with his family, Moore said he and his wife, Gail, spontaneously took a trip to Petoskey for a few days — something he hasn't done during the past 28 years. 

Moore's dedication to CMU never wavered during his tenure. Despite the large outpouring of gratitude he's been shown since retiring, which he called appreciated and unexpectedly overwhelming, Moore sums up his body of work as a service. He humbly downplays his contributions to CMU, such as igniting the structural overhaul of Park Library in 2002, by saying his job as dean was to empower his employees to better serve library patrons. He said the people who worked under him are the ones who deserve credit for making CMU's library successful.

University President George Ross called Moore a "wonderful" employee of the university.

"Tom's been great to work with. He and his wife Gail have been wonderful employees of the university, but just wonderful community people," he said. "They're just great to work with. Tom is a smart man, an engaging man. I appreciate my time with him and I wish him well in his retirement."

Having gone out for occasional drinks together, Barrie Wilkes, vice president finance and administrative services, said Moore is a true gentleman.

After he announced his retirement in the spring, Board of Trustees Chair Sarah Opperman said Moore continued to create renovation plans for CMU's Park Library — the sign of a true leader.

"Even in his last year as dean, he was still innovating and asking what's the need for the library in the future," she said. "To me, that's the sign of not only an excellent dean, but an excellent leader and visionary." 

Moore said he is greatly appreciative of the kind words from Ross and the outpouring of gratitude from the CMU community. He said he felt his job as dean of libraries was the best job at the university because of the positive feedback he got from the community about the libraries' services. 

After serving as an associate dean under Moore for three years, Kathy Irwin was named interim dean by Provost Michael Gealt in April. 

"I don't think I need to give her any advice," Moore said about his temporary successor. "She is so well prepared already. She's so committed to helping the libraries' clientele. I saw it everyday for three years."

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →