Hillel Brought Coffee and Conversations for Jewish Learning and Leadership Building.

jewish_1

CMU senior Hadley Platek, reads from a question sheet, to start the discussion of the Hillel group at Central Michigan University, on Sept. 20 at The Dreamer Coffee Shop.

It's the answers to the big questions that are hard to publicly share, but the Hillel group confronted it head on at Dreamer Coffee Shop.

The Hillel Campus Alliance of Michigan group at Central Michigan University held "Coffee and Conversations: Ask Big Questions for Jewish Learning and Leadership Building" on Tuesday night.

Hillel gives students the chance to discuss the arts, culture, politics and Judaism. The event's goal was to bring people together to discuss serious topics.

"As a community, it gives us a place to learn about each other and work with piers," said Alison Zywicki, the Inspire Intern member and West Bloomfield junior in charge of the event said. "It helps you find your identity and learn more about yourself or the Jewish community."

This event wasn't focused on Judaism alone, but worked to shed light on the personal stories of each individual in attendance and to learn from each other.

Okemos senior Anna VanArsdale, an executive board member for Hillel, is not Jewish, but said she enjoys being a part of the group.

“It’s not like we only talk about religion. It’s just a lot of bonding and makes you think about things you don’t normally think about,” VanArsdale said.

The group agrees to respectful secrecy — anything spoken about in the discussion circle is never repeated outside of the group, giving people a chance to open up without fearing judgement.

The main topic discussed at Coffee and Conversations was what the world needs from the group individually.

“Sometimes you don’t know what is needed from you until it’s all said and done,” said Robyn Hughe, associate director for HCAM.

Aside from the main question, the group also discussed what they felt their sense of purpose is in the world, what fuels their passion and what they want to give to the world.

The questions are purposely broad, but draws in deep conversation while giving each person a chance to share their thoughts.

“It’s a building opportunity that is open for everyone,” Zywicki said.