Students organize Black Lives Matter demonstration to protest police violence

dsc_1271

Detroit junior Kennedy Stone participates in the Black Lives Matter protest while supporting a shirt representing the movement on Sept. 22 near Fabino Gardens.

About 50 student activists gathered Thursday in support of the Black Lives Matter movement near the Charles V. Park Library to protest the shooting of African-American Terence Crutcher.

The demonstration was planned by Registered Student Organization Justus League in response to Crutcher’s death in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was reported by various news outlets Crutcher was unarmed and waiting for help after his SUV broke down on the side of the road.

Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby was charged with manslaughter in the first degree for the shooting.

Crutcher was shot soon by a police officer after they responded to the broken down car. 

“Most of these shootings you hear about really hit home,” said Brianna Haynes, Justus League’s vice president. “Black men are taught they might have to comply for their own safety.”

The Saginaw resident said the shootings make her worry about her father, who is the same age as Crutcher. She worries he could be potentially viewed as intimidating to law enforcement because of his large physical stature.

The group of demonstrators shared frustrations and other stories of racial injustice at the protest. They talked about their experiences with racial profiling by police, as well as the importance of voting in elections.

Justus League’s president Ahsha Davis said passersby were mostly civil toward the demonstrators. In the crowd were two Central Michigan University Police officers, one holding hands with students.

“We want to let people know what’s going on,” said Davis, a Redford junior. “I think social media shields a lot. People don’t realize this has been going on for years.”

Justus League is a hip hop music organization that helps artists on campus promote their work. The group is also known for participating in social justice events on campus.

Haynes said the issue of racial profiling is heightened with the upcoming election, especially with a history of minority reluctance to show up to the polls.

“Our vote really does matter,” Haynes said. “We need to show our voice.”

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →