Signage updated following Campus Identity Plan

A new Central Michigan University sign sits amongst consgtruction materials on Friday, Sept. 23 at the corner of S Mission St and E Blue Grass St.

The first phase of Central Michigan University’s Campus Identity Plan began in July with the demolition of CMU’s existing gateway signs on Mission Street.

The construction of two brick and limestone structures on the corners of Mission Street, Bellows Street and West Campus Drive began Sept. 7 to create main gateways to campus. 

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president for Facilities Management, said the 60-feet long and six-feet high signs are scheduled to be finished Sept. 30. The total cost of the gateway sign project is $550,000.

"These impressive monuments have been designed to proudly display the university seal and will bookend the north and south ends of campus announcing arrival at CMU for travelers on Mission," said director of Plant Engineering and Planning Linda Slater.

The Campus Identity Plan, directed by Slater, was developed in January 2014 through a series of charrettes involving students, faculty, staff and the Mount Pleasant Community. A total of 200 signs will be added to campus over the course of four years.

“There will be new signage designs around campus, way-finding signs with maps, some signs with internal lighting and there’s even a landscaping plan that will determine the types of plants that will survive best in our weather conditions,” Lawrence said.

In addition to the gateway signs, construction also began on new building identity signs and vehicular directional signs in various places around campus this Fall.

Slater said locations for signage include but are not limited to areas around the new Biosciences Building, the College of Medicine, the Health Professions building, the John G. Kulhavi Events Center and Warriner Hall.

"The way-finding will make it easier for new students, faculty and staff, guests who attend special events, prospective students and families who visit all year long to know where they are going," Slater said.

Future improvements will include additional signage, a 21-foot-tall archway adjacent to Broomfield Road as a pedestrian entrance and the beautification of the green space between Warriner Hall and Bellows Street. 

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →