Count on Cooper: Rush sets eyes on CMU elites, NFL

Western Michigan and Central Michigan football coaches don't agree on much, but both agree senior quarterback Cooper Rush is likely headed to the NFL after this season. 

CMU head football coach John Bonamego is even more confident — he believes Rush is the best quarterback in the country.

Although he admits his bias, Bonamego holds Rush to a higher standard than other players and expects him to lead CMU to victory.

"I think Cooper is on an ascending path. He's got tremendous knowledge and grasp of the offense. He is continuing to get better. There's an obvious change in his arm strength," Bonamego said. "Those things (add to) all of the intangibles he already possesses — his work ethic, his pride and his attention to detail."

Since taking over the starting quarterback duties one game into the 2013 season, Rush has made a name for himself under center. 

Last season he set the CMU single-season record with 3,848 yards passing. Rush also holds the college football bowl game record with seven passing touchdowns in a game, which he accomplished during the 2014 Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

During the past three seasons as CMU's starter, Rush has totaled 9,354 passing yards and 67 passing touchdowns with a 62.9 percent completion percentage.

"I've just been trying to work on footwork, getting quicker with drops and always increasing arm strength," Rush said.

During the offseason, Rush was invited to take part in the Manning Camp hosted by the Manning family, led by Super Bowl winning quarterbacks Peyton and Eli along with their father Archie.

Other top quarterbacks in the NCAA took part in the camp, validating Rush's place among college football's elite signal callers.

"Just being around other college quarterbacks and the Mannings was cool to see. It shows you that you're on the right path," Rush said. "Eli and Peyton always prepared, take notes and help coach the receivers up to get everyone on the same page."

Coming into this season, Rush has been named to the Maxwell Award watchlist for the best college player and the Manning Award for best quarterback in the nation. 

He was also placed on the watch list for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award and Allstate American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team.

Rush and Western Michigan's Zach Terrell are the only two Mid-American Conference quarterbacks on the list, headlined by 2015 winner Deshaun Watson of Clemson.

In each season as a starter, Rush has increase his passing yards, completion percentage while cutting down on interceptions. 

Following the conclusion of his final season in maroon and gold, Rush could hear his name called during the 2017 NFL Draft and possibly make an NFL roster. 

NFL draft expert for ESPN Mel Kiper Jr. rated Rush at the fifth best senior quarterback in the 2017 draft class. CBSSports rated him as the fourth best draft-eligible quarterback.

Even Western Michigan head coach P. J. Fleck said Rush seems headed for success in the NFL.

“(Rush) is an NFL quarterback,” Fleck said. “He’s going to be playing on Sunday’s next year at this time. I don’t know if you can ever stop him. You just have to find a way to contain him.”

Knowing a career in the NFL is in his future doesn't add pressure on Rush for when he steps on the field.

“Once you’re out there, all (the pressure) goes away and you’re just playing football,” Rush said. “(The NFL) has always been a goal. Coach Bono talks about how your goal should be to play in the NFL, and I have a chance to. Entering the season, I just want to go out and play and let the other things take care of themselves.”

Assistant Sports Editor Greg Wickliffe contributed to this article.