EDITORIAL: Reclassifying MIP

New bill could end negative impact of first-time misdemeanor charges for underage drinking

editorial
Monica Bradburn | Photo Editor

On Welcome Weekend, Mount Pleasant and Central Michigan University police wrote a combined 80 minor in possession of alcohol tickets.

For some students, the offense seems trivial – a mostly avoidable hazard associated with having a good time in college. Many don’t realize an MIP is a criminal offense, one that can negatively affect a student well after college graduation.

State law mandates an automatic misdemeanor charge with fines up to 90 days in jail for first time MIP offenders. Misdemeanors also show up on almost all background checks – including those used for employment and government assistance like student loans.

Earlier this year, members of the state Senate passed a bill enacting sweeping changes to Michigan’s MIP laws. The changes would reduce first-time MIP offenses to a civil infraction.

The punishment is on par with a minor traffic ticket. 

We encourage legislators to pass this measure. We hope Gov. Rick Snyder signs it into law.

With this change, an MIP offender would face a $100 fine. That’s it – pay your court fees. No criminal record. No probation.

A subsequent offense results in a misdemeanor charge with 30 days in jail and a $200 fine. A third and final offense comes with 60 days in jail, a $500 fine and the revocation of a driver’s license.

The bill was introduced to address an uptick in Michigan MIP offenses. According to the Michigan State Police, more than 6,000 minors got caught possessing alcohol in 2013.

It was proposed by State Sen. Rick Jones, a former Eaton County Sheriff. As a veteran member of law enforcement, Jones understands that the current law is too harsh.

Many Michigan legislators agree – the bill passed the State House’s Criminal Justice committee last week and is now heading to the House floor.

We support the state’s push to eliminate criminal charges for minors facing alcohol possession charges. We do not believe one dumb mistake like underage drinking should determine a student’s destiny. 

Young people, especially those attending universities like CMU, may abuse alcohol. If they are underage, the decision can lead to consequences, like an MIP.

Many 18-to-20 year old students fail to understand that fact until it’s too late. A seemingly harmless tailgate or Welcome Weekend citation can end in legal disaster. 

We absolutely do not support underage event drinking. However, it would be absurd to ignore reality. We also shouldn’t ignore the effect of a heavy-handed MIP charge. Pending legislation would still force students to face the music while salvaging their reputations and future employment.

As it stands, penalties for minor alcohol offenses are harsh, and with good reason. 

The dangers of excessive underage drinking are vast and well documented.

In the past two years, the CMU community lost two students to excessive alcohol consumption. They were distinct tragedies that none of us wish to repeat.

We hope these changes will force students to know the perils and legal ramifications of an MIP without the lasting ripple of a misdemeanor charge. 

For years, students have championed lowering the legal drinking age. Now it’s time for us to show our legislators that we can handle it. 

This is a second chance. Don’t take advantage of this New Deal on MIPs.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →