DIII hockey team scores four unanswered goals to beat Hope College

Central Michigan 5, Hope 2

23600_2015_1113_hockeyvsum_gc010f

Club hockey players celebrate after a goal during the first period against Michigan on Nov. 13, 2015 at the Mount Pleasant Ice Arena. The Chippewas won, 8-2.

The home crowd left with a smile Saturday night as Central Michigan's Division III hockey team beat Hope College 5-2, scoring four unanswered goals in the third period.

A large crowd packed the Isabella County Events Arena for the team's home opener, which players said gave them an added boost after losing to Hope 4-2 at Edge Ice Arena on Friday.

“It was huge coming for our first home game,” said left wing Nathan Allgaier. “We fed off the crowd’s energy. We needed that coming in after a tough loss last night.”

Both teams spent the first five minutes of the game feeling each other out during a physical first period.

“Hope (College) doesn’t like to be hit,” said head coach Tyler Cataline. “We knew coming in that if we played physical, they’d start taking bad penalties.”

CMU carried a 1-0 lead after the first period. The Chippewas' goal came from defenseman Dylan Billins at the 6:24 mark. 

Nine minutes into the second period, momentum seemed to have swung in Hope's favor as the Flying Dutchmen scored to tie the game. With eight seconds left in the period, Hope added another goal on a power play to take the lead 2-1.

Down one in the third period, the Chippewas did not fold. CMU went on to score four unanswered goals to take control of the game.

“We knew we had to come out strong (in the third period),” Allgaier said. “We knew we were outplaying them. We stayed out of the penalty box for the most part and we knew we had a shot at winning.”

The Traverse City graduate student scored two of CMU's four goals in the third period. 

Junior goaltender Riley Morgan said the leadership of Allgaier and team captains propelled CMU to the win.

“Our captains talked us back into it, our coaches did too," Morgan said. 

Allowing two goals in 34 shots, Morgan was relieved to see the team catch fire in the third. 

“It made me feel amazing and makes my job a lot easier,” he said.

For Cataline, the most important thing about his team's performance during the third period was all the players coming together to play as one.

“That was probably the best third period we’ve played all year,” he said. “We played an all-around good game against a good team. They’re going to be one of the top teams this year.”

The CMU DIII hockey team will be back in action Friday, Oct. 21 against Calvin College at 7:30 p.m. at the Isabella County Events Arena.

The team competes in the American Collegiate Hockey Association and is placed in a division consisting of Lawrence Tech, Oakland, Saginaw Valley State, Adrian, Michigan-Flint, and Northwood.