Police say Western Weekend activity was ‘on par with what we expected’

MIP most frequent citation given out by MPPD

cops_2

Police supervise as students tailgate on October 1, behind Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

As the Central Michigan football team prepared for its Saturday night game against rival Western Michigan Broncos, local law enforcement also prepared for a weekend of partying students.

Lt. Cameron Wassman of the Central Michigan University Police Department said all officers were on duty during the game. Fifteen officers from other departments assisted CMUPD in and around the stadium. 

“I would say (the weekend) was on par with what we expected,” Wassman said. 

He added it was the busiest weekend the department has seen in a while.

Officer Jeff Browne of the Mount Pleasant Police Department said they were assisted by 11 different police departments, as well as the Mount Pleasant Fire Department. Police worked with Greek Life to help clean up Sunday after the game. 

By the end of Western Weekend, the MPPD received more than 270 calls and issued 81 citations. 

Browne said the numbers were consistent with what city police have seen in the past but added he felt the department was “a little busier” from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.

Prior to festivities beginning on Friday, MPPD posted its “Be Smart, Be Safe, Be a Chippewa” campaign online to make expectations clear. The video warns students police will be watching students for things like open intoxicants or nuisance parties. 

The video was sponsored by CMUPD, Residence Life and the Office of Student Conduct.

MPPD reported 66 calls from 7 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday with another 207 calls coming in from 7 p.m. Saturday to 7 a.m. Sunday. These included one home invasion, in which a man broke into a house on High Street. He was found asleep on a bed. 

The department also reported six people were arrested or cited for disorderly conduct, five for driving with a suspended license, 20 for minor in possession, and one for malicious destruction of personal property. Eight citations were given out for attending a nuisance party, 14 for hosting a nuisance party, 14 for open intoxicants, six for operating while intoxicated and one for possession with intent to deliver drugs. 

Three citations were also written for resisting and obstructing and one for driving away unlawfully.

Mount Pleasant Police said in a press release Sunday the law enforcement presence was part of a multi-year plan developed in 2014 to ease tensions between students and residents, and the number of violations in the area north of campus. According to the press release, this has involved working with landowners, students and CMU — working to decrease disruptive behavior and enforce ordinances. 

“We are proud to be home to Central Michigan University. The students are a great asset to our community and the energy and diversity they bring strengthens the city as a whole,” said Mount Pleasant City Manager Nancy Ridley in the release. “The students are also city residents, and all residents are expected to uphold our community standards, which include respecting your neighbors and taking care of each other to ensure Mount Pleasant continues to be a safe and desirable place to live and visit.”

Browne said officers patrolling north of campus start off in groups of 10 and break down to as small as two throughout the night. 

Police were busy throughout the day as students required medical attention for intoxication. Patrols were carried out both in vehicles and on foot, with an emphasis around the tailgate lot outside Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Assisting city and campus police were the Mount Pleasant Fire Department, Alma Police Department, Ferris State University Police Department, Big Rapids Police Department, Mecosta County Sheriff’s Department, Saint Louis Police Department, Gratiot County Sheriff’s Department, Midland Police Department, Midland County Sheriff’s Department and Michigan State Police.