Six Chippewas earn All-MAC honors

football_2
Junior defensive back Amari Coleman, attempts to shake an opposing player during the game against Presbyterian College on Sept. 1 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Six players have been named to All-Mid-American Conference teams on Wednesday.

Junior cornerback Amari Coleman and sophomore linebacker Malik Fountain were named to the All-Mac Defensive First-Team. Fountain led the Chippewas in tackles with 84 — 10 for loss.

Coleman led CMU with four interceptions and 19 pass breakups, each of which are tied for the best in the conference.

Junior wide receiver Corey Willis and junior defensive end Joe Ostman were named to the All-MAC Offensive and Defensive Second-Team, respectively. 

Willis finished the regular season with 69 receptions for 1,028 yards and nine touchdowns. The Holland native is the first Chippewa to have over 1,000 yards receiving since Titus Davis in 2014.

Ostman led CMU with nine sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss. He was third on the team with 64 tackles. The St. Ignace native made the All-MAC Third Team in 2014.

Senior quarterback Cooper Rush and junior cornerback Josh Cox were selected to the All-MAC Third-Team.

Rush finished the regular season with 3,299 yards passing with 23 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. It is the second time he has made an All-MAC team. He was a Second-Team offensive player last season.

Cox had three interceptions, four pass breakups and 45 tackles this season.

CMU will announce which bowl game it is playing in on Sunday in a press conference at the Indoor Athletic Complex.