Kozinski discusses CMU basketball's goals and best shooter on team

After leading the team in 3-point field goals last season, sharpshooting forward Josh Kozinski is back for the Central Michigan men's basketball team this season.

Kozisnki has appeared in every game he has been on the team for and is a career 35.2 percent 3-point shooter.

CM Life: What did you work on during the offseason?

KOZINSKI: Trying to shoot off the dribble more and getting more shots inside the three-point line, using shot fakes to get people in the air. I just worked on my game overall.

What are some of your goals for this season?

Contribute as much as I can. We lost a lot, we lost Chris (Fowler) Rayshawn (Simmons) and John (Simons), so being a leader vocally. I think we need a new guy to step up and hopefully I can help out with that.

Have you been able to take on that leadership role?

I'd like to think so. I've been trying to be as loud as I can and I've been trying to talk to the younger guys in some spots.

What are the team's goals this season?

We're a winning program, so with that and the older guys leaving the program, they left it in good hands with us. We're just trying to win games and be a three-peat in the MAC West and get to that (MAC) title game.

Who's the best shooter on the team?

I'm labeled the best shooter on the team, but all of us can shoot. Our guards (Braylon Rayson and Marcus Keene), Corey Redman and Dave DiLeo can shoot it really well.

What's your shooting routine?

Progressive shooting. Starting from close and working back. I like to make 70 spot-up (shots) going back to two steps over half court trying to get my range going. Then I like to make 100 3-pointers.