Ling and Kulick reelected to Mount Pleasant city commission

sga_1
Mayor Kathy Ling addresses the audience about student voting and making it easier for students to get to the poles for election day Oct. 3 at the UC Auditorium.

More than 8,600 voters cast their ballots on Tuesday in favor of reelecting Mount Pleasant Mayor Kathy Ling and City Commissioner Tony Kulick to their Mount Pleasant City Commission seats. 

Ling tallied 3,932 votes, receiving about 45 percent of the overall vote. Kulick received more than 30 percent of the overall vote, with 2,628 votes cast in his favor. 

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

“I’m very honored to be elected and I’m looking forward to working with the commission and addressing some of the key issues facing the community,” Ling said. “Those include rewriting of the zoning ordinance, the future development on the Mount Pleasant Center property, and I’m also hopeful we’ll come up with a solution to the safety problem for pedestrians on Crawford Road.”

A third candidate, Central Michigan University senior William Joseph, received 2,079 votes. 

Ling said she hopes to use her fourth term on Mount Pleasant's City Commission to work on the relationship between Mount Pleasant residents and CMU students living north of campus. She also wants to find a solution, she said, to safety concerns raised by students and community members regarding Crawford Road after Macomb freshman Ryan Tsatsos was killed in a hit-and-run incident last November.

Ling said the street needs a pathway for pedestrians and more lighting, which will require cooperation from several government associations.

“That is one of the issues I am most concerned about,” Ling said. “That’s my goal — to end up with something everyone can agree on.”

Ling said she wants to decide on how to rework the city’s zoning ordinance, which has remained unchanged since 1971. She also wants to make use of the Mount Pleasant Center property, and is looking for input on what the land should be used for.

Kulick said he wants to use his second term to expand Mount Pleasant’s local economy. He has been a member of the city commission since 2013. Before that he worked as a city planner for 20 years while also working in the Isabella County Planning and Zoning office.

Ling is a retired teacher who has served on the city commission since 2007.

Stick with Central Michigan Life as we compile more city and county election results.