Women's cross country takes 14th, men's finishes 20th at Great Lakes Regional Championship

2015_1031_crosscountry_mb_31
The CMU women's cross country team sports the "flying c" on all their right shoulders on Oct. 31 at the MAC Championship in Akron, Ohio. Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

The Central Michigan women’s cross country team took 14th place at the Great Lakes Regional Championship on Friday in Madison, Wisconsin. 

The Chippewas finished with 374 points, 34 points shy of a top-10 finish.

Senior Kelly Schubert led the women’s team with a personal best time of 21:13 to finished 45th. Sophomore Megan O’Neil finished 62nd with a time of 21:28.0 and right behind her was junior Hannah Davis at 63rd with a time of 21:28.2, which was also a personal best. 

Assistant head coach Matt Kaczor said he was pleased with the results on the women's side. 

"Our one through four were solid today and all ran very well, many finishing with personal best times," he said.

Michigan took first in the Great Lakes Regional followed with 61 points followed by Notre Dame with 91 points to take the two automatic bids for the NCAA Women’s Championships.

The men’s team finished 20th out of 30 teams, finishing with 565 points. 

Senior Spencer Nousain was the top runner for CMU with a time of 32:19 to take 82nd. Senior Casey Voisin finished 108th with a time of 32:42, and freshman Bransen Stimpfel rounded out the top three for the Chippewas with a time of 32:59, good for 118th place. 

Kaczor said the seniors finished strong and hoped the performance would lead to a successful season next year for the returners. 

"After this race, the team needs to take this as a building block for next year," he said.

Wisconsin finished first with 51 points and Michigan State took second with 81 points to take the two automatic bids for the NCAA Championships on the men's side.