Women’s basketball helps donate food, diapers to Mid-Michigan services

dsc_0389

Freshman forward Gabrielle Bird decides where to pass the ball on Dec.1, 2016 at McGuirk Arena. 

With the holidays quickly approaching, the Central Michigan women's basketball team was able to provide some relief for families in the Mid-Michigan area.

1,243 diapers were raised by the team and donated by fans to Life Choices Pregnancy Services of Central Michigan and the Williams Ellis Brockman Infant Pantry. The diapers were donated by fans that were awarded free entry to the CMU/Oakland “Diaper Dandy” game on Nov. 22.

To go along with the diapers, 12 elementary and middle schools in the Mid-Michigan area came to cheer on the Chippewas on Dec. 1 as they took on Loyola. The schools were honored at McGuirk Arena for the annual "Hoops For Hunger" game as they raised a combined 42,621 pounds of food for the Greater Lansing Food Bank. 

Head Coach Sue Guevara called out all 12 schools after the Chippewas' 95-57 win over Loyola and thanked them for raising and donating to the food bank.

"It's something that we do every year and I think it's very well received by a lot of the schools here in the Mid-Michigan area," Guevara said after the Loyola game. "The food helps a lot of families, so I think it's a really good event and it's something we will continue to do to give back to the community that gives so much to us."

Life Choices Pregnancy Services, which is located right off the campus of CMU, serves teens, men, women and families free of charge. They have parenting programs, a medical clinic, among other services. 

The Infant Pantry is located in Mount Pleasant and provides services to over 120 babies per month. 

"We get to spread some joy," Guevara said. "When we (went there) and dropped off the diapers, they were just so appreciative. We don't get to see the families that the babies and the kids that get the diapers, but that's okay. The people that are distributing them — the smile on their face means a lot."