Gymnanstics starts season with a victory over Wisconsin-Eau Clair and Hamline

Winning three events on Sunday, junior Katy Clements led the Central Michigan gymnastics team to a tri-meet victory over Wisconsin-Eau Clair and Hamline at McGuirk Arena.

The Chippewas finished with a 192.075 score while Eau Clair took second with 188.700. Hamline finished third with 183.875. 

Winning three events, junior Katy Clements led CMU with a 9.900 on both the floor exercise and balance beam and a 9.675 on vault. Senior Caroline Fitzpatrick shared the top spot with Clements on the beam.

The Chippewas finished 49.025 on floor exercise. 

“I think we sold our performances really well on floor," Clements said. "The energy was high and we loved the crowd today but there's definitely a lot of things we need to work on."

Clements competed on beam last year, but Sunday was her first time in the floor event.

"Floor is a brand new event for me and that was an adrenaline rush of no other and it was the time of my life," she said.

The Chippewas finished with a 47.725 on vault, 47.700 on beam and 47.625 on bars.

“I was very pleased with our floor squad." said Head Coach Jerry Reighard. "I can’t remember an opener that went 49 on floor. The alarming thing is we begin MAC play next week. Those 47s have to change in the next five practices or were going to be in trouble. We have to maintain the 49.”

Freshman Denelle Pedrick competed in all four events in her first meet as a Chippewa. She finished second on floor with a 9.850 and tied for second on vault and bars. 

“It was definitely a big step," Pedrick said. “I came in knowing what I needed to do and knowing what to expect.”

The Chippewas will begin Mid-American Conference play next Sunday Jan. 15 at 1:00 p.m. at Western Michigan.