Gymnastics starts MAC play with a win over Western Michigan

Head coach Jerry Reighard said he knew Sunday's gymnastics meet would be a statement meet for his team. 

The Chippewas opened Mid-American Conference play with a win against Western Michigan, 194.950 to 192.900.

The victory moves CMU to 2-0 overall on the season.

“I told the team this was going to be a coming out party for us,” Reighard said.

The Chippewas came out strong on the first event bars with a 49.050 score led by junior Bryttany Kaplan’s 9.875. 

Sophomore Gianna Plaska scored a 9.85, senior Caroline Fitzpatrick had a 9.825, sophomore Kasey Janowicz scored a 9.8, and freshman Denelle Pedrick scored a 9.7.

“We started out so well on bars we had them (Western Michigan) on their heels,” Reighard said.

On beam, the Chippewas scored a 48.975. Junior Katy Clements scored a team-high 9.85 in the event.

The Chippewas finished strong on the floor routine. The final three routines helped lead the Chippewas.

Sophomore Gianna Plaksa scored a 9.8. Both Clements and Pedrick also scored well with a 9.775.

On vault, the Chippewas scored a 48.4. Both Clements and Pedrick scored a 9.75 to lead the team in this event.

Freshman Denelle Pedrick finished the day with an all around score of a 39.050.

“As an all arounder, you have to hit the 39 mark. After last week she responded very well today," Reighard said.

Another stat to note is that the Chippewas finished the day with zero misses on any routines.

“I can’t remember the last time we had zero misses in the second meet of the year," Reighard said.“I really thought we took care of business today."

The Chippewas continue the season at 7 p.m. on Friday Jan. 20 at McGuirk Arena against Eastern Michigan.