Women's basketball looks for second road win against Bowling Green

Road games haven’t been a strong point for the Central Michigan women's basketball team this season.

The Chippewas are 1-3 away from McGuirk Arena and will hit the road to take on Bowling Green Saturday at 2:30 p.m in Mid-American Conference action.

The game can be seen on ESPN3. 

Despite Bowling Green being 5-11 overall and 1-3 in the MAC, Guevara said she knows with the MAC West division being so tough, they need to treat every game the same.

“Holding down your home court is critical to winning a championship, but then you have to go on the road to steal a couple,” she said. “This is a pretty tough conference, and you know you have eight games at home, so we need to take it one game at a time and take care of our road games as well.”

Even with being undefeated, Guevara said her team still has plenty of spots where it needs to improve.

“The points off of the turnovers are another thing that will drive you crazy,” she said. “We have to work on our defense. We get key stops and key rebounds when we need them, now we have to find a way to string those keys together.”

While CMU is scoring 76.2 points per game and is shooting 44.5 percent from the floor, its opponents are scoring 69.4 points per game and shooting 41.7 percent from the field.

The Chippewas are also turning the ball over 15.1 times per game, which is resulting in the easy points that Guevara said she wants to see go away. 

In conference games, the Chippewas are leading the conference with 92.2 points per game, while Bowling Green is just averaging 63.5 points per game.

The Falcons are 2-6 at home this season.

"Bowling Green will be ready, so we need to be prepared," Guevara said.

CMU comes in to the game tied for first place in the MAC West with Northern Illinois who is also 4-0 in conference play, and right behind them are three teams at 3-1 (Ball State, Toledo, Western Michigan).

The Chippewas will play three of the next four games on the road beginning Saturday.