Events on CMU’s campus to promote hazing awareness

life

Throughout the week, the Office of Student Activities and Involvement will host several events to raise awareness on the harmful effects of hazing.

“Hazing Prevention Week” will feature four different events that cover a broad understanding of what hazing is and how to prevent it.

The first effort to build awareness involves an information table which will be set up from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 14. in the Bovee University Center Down Under Food Court. The table will seat students from the Greek community and the Office of Student Activities and Involvement, who will pass out brochures and wristbands that say “These hands don’t haze.” There will also be a banner for students to sign to support the prevention of hazing.

The movie “Haze” will be shown at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 15 in the UC Auditorium. Following the film, Jordan Borchert, a graduate intern for Fraternity and Sorority life who helped coordinate the week, will facilitate a conversation with the audience.

A presentation that will illustrate the development of hazing, “The Evolution of Hazing From Civil War to the College Campus” will take place from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 16 in the UC Auditorium. Alexis Foley, a student assistant for Fraternity and Sorority Life, will lead a discussion regarding the history of the practice.

“Hazing Prevention Week” ends on Friday, Feb. 17 with a panel discussion of three speakers from 7p.m. to 8 p.m. in Pearce Hall room 127. The speakers will cover three aspects of hazing — student organizations, fraternity and sorority life and university recreation and competitive sports. D’Wayne Jenkins, assistant director of Multicultural Academic Student Services and Danielle Rossman, assistant director for Student Organizations, will be included on the panel. The third speaker has yet to be confirmed.

Borchert said the events are open to all students and encourages everyone to attend. He thinks educating students about hazing is important.

“Hazing doesn’t (just) affect (the) fraternity and sorority community, it affects all areas of student life,” Borchert said. “We wanted to broaden that reach and educate people and provide them the opportunity to learn more about hazing and hazing prevention. There’s a chance (students) could be affected by hazing in, music, athletics, band, student organizations — the list keeps continuing.”

He said his goal is for students to become more informed on the topic because it affects their overall experience at CMU. He hopes understanding what hazing is will help reduce its presence on campus. 

About Emma Dale

Editor-in-Chief Emma Dale is a junior from Grand Haven double majoring in journalism and political ...

View Posts by Emma Dale →