Softball drops first two games of Aggie Classic

Central Michigan softball's season got off to a rocky start in the opening two games of the Aggie Classic at Texas A&M Friday.

The Chippewas fell to Ohio State and Lamar. 

However, CMU will have a shot at redemption, as they will face both teams again before the conclusion of the weekend.

Game 1: Ohio State

The bats were alive for the Buckeyes as they topped CMU, 10-0. CMU was out-hit 7-2. 

Senior starting pitcher Rachael Knapp was on the mound for 2.2 innings, giving up 5 hits, 6 runs and 6 errors.

"I was impressed with Ohio State's sticks," said head coach Margo Jonker. "They are a much improved team from what they were a few years ago."

Senior Ohio State pitcher Shelby Hursh was credited for a complete game. Hursh pitched all five innings before the mercy was called, allowing only one walk while striking out six Chippewas. 

Jonker said she hopes the OSU game will give her team some much needed experience going forward.

"We gave them a little bit and they jumped all over it," Jonker. "Great game for them, not so good for us, but it's a learning experience for us."

Game 2: Lamar

The Chippewa bats began to heat up after a less than stellar performance in the first game. 

Four runs were batted in with a grand slam from sophomore infielder Rachel Vieira, giving CMU an early 4-0 lead. 

Lamar would battle back though, scoring seven runs in the fourth inning and would maintain their lead for the remainder of the game, winning 7-5.

"We swung the bats much better, but we have some things we have to learn from that too," Jonker said. "We started with a lead, and then we didn't hold. So we've got to know how to go about holding leads."

Over the course of the game, CMU stranded seven runners, something Jonker said she wants to see improved.

"We have a long season, and one weekend does not define the season," Jonker said. "We have to keep working hard to get better every day."

A rematch against Lamar will be the first matchup of the day Saturday at noon, along with the biggest test of the road trip against no. 18 Texas A&M following the conclusion of the first game.

CMU will have another shot at the Buckeyes on Sunday to conclude the Aggie Classic at 11 a.m.