RSO promotes vegetarian lifestyle, educates students

After becoming a vegetarian, Rachel Kremm kept it a secret because of the negative stigmas surrounding the lifestyle.

The Livonia junior has now been a vegan for a year and is a member of Student Advocates for Vegetarianism/Veganism.

The registered student organization educates students on plant-based eating habits through events. The group has more than 100 registered members, and about 20 members regularly attend their weekly 7:30 p.m. Thursday meetings in Moore 107.

“It’s such an incredible way for me to meet and connect with like-minded, compassionate people,” Kremm said. “I had been considering going vegan for a while, but thought it would be too hard because I was on a meal plan. When I started going to SAVV, I was able to meet awesome people who shared my values and reminded me why I live the way I do.”

SAVV will volunteer at SASHA Farms Animal Sanctuary in March. Since it’s creation last February, it has held a screening of the documentary “Earthlings,” had a vegan Thanksgiving potluck and handed out coffee and dairy-free creamer to students on campus while educating them on the cruelty of dairy.

“Our goal as an RSO is to promote the three main reasons for going vegetarian and vegan: animal rights, the environment and health,” said Sarah Merrifield, a Sterling Heights junior and vice president of SAVV. “(SAVV wants to) provide fellow vegan and vegetarian students a supportive community and place to continue learning even more reasons to go and stay (vegetarian.)”

SAVV events and meetings cover a variety of vegan and vegetarian-based issues including the nutritional benefits of a plant-based diet beauty products and fashion, food justice and the implications of animal agriculture on humans.

At every event, SAVV hands out “Guide to Going Vegan” pamphlets and other leaflets that give information on why and how to move toward a “cruelty-free” diet.

“I was a meat-eater for my whole life, and was obsessed with cheese,” Jackson junior Savannah Swiatlowski said. “I think I knew deep down what was happening in order for these foods to get to my plate, but I was so conditioned to thinking that that was just how it had to be.”

Swiatlowski cut meat from her diet after watching the documentary “Cowspiracy” last spring. She remained vegetarian for about a month before transitioning to veganism. Swiatlowski said it is the best decision she’s ever made, and being a member of SAVV helps her stay informed and motivated about the lifestyle.

“SAVV is truly an open, authentic space for students to learn about the (vegetarian) lifestyle, and to share in the joy of it with others,” Swiatlowski said. “Our members feel empowered and inspired in each other’s presence, and those who come to our events leave with a new outlook on their habits.”