New study abroad program announced for journalism students

life

Journalism students at Central Michigan University have the opportunity to study specific subsets of journalism in wide-range of countries around the world this summer.

The Institute for Education in International Media has offered study abroad programs for journalism students around the country since 2001. The deadline for this summer’s application is Feb. 15, or earlier if applicant spots fill.

The ieiMedia website stated its programs give students a taste of foreign correspondent life, and are open to English-speaking students and recent graduates.

This year, ieiMedia announced a new Kyoto program where students will collaborate with bilingual Japanese students acting as guides and interpreters, while obtaining foreign correspondent work experience.

Students will publish stories, articles, video, photo and multimedia projects for an online magazine.

The Kyoto program costs $4,995 and includes tuition for three transferable academic credits from the University of Jamestown, lodging and excursions expenses, public transportation passes, travel to and from Kansai International airport, basic travel insurance and welcome and farewell dinners.

Students and recent graduates who do not need academic credit will get a $450 discount.

While the Kyoto program is new, ieiMedia still sponsors several other programs including:

Students interested in applying can learn more at ieimedia.com or by contacting Co-director Rachele Kanigel at rkanigel@gmail.com.