COLUMN: Share your opinion with CM Life, contribute to the campus conversation

As the opinion editor of Central Michigan Life, I enjoy reading a wide range of opinions from a variety of voices. 

It's interesting. It's also good food for thought.

Showcasing a variety of voices and opinions is something we strive for at CM Life.

We're living in an interesting time. There's a lot to be said. 

To best serve our audience, we believe we need to present the most complete, well-rounded version of any debate on any relevant issue. This is why I invite everyone in our campus and city community to contribute to the CM Life opinion section.

Writers can contribute by penning letters to the editor or guest columns. Staff columnist positions are also available for full-time students.

Let's be real, some people are better suited to opine on certain issues than others because of their unique experiences or background and writing skills.

For example, some readers don't want to read columns about race, discrimination or gender inequality that are written exclusively by white, American men. 

I think it would be more interesting for our audience if we include the perspective of someone who actually witnesses an issue firsthand. We want to talk about issues from the vantage point of someone who lives the experience they're writing about, the people with a chip on their shoulder about an issue, those who have something to say.

Last month, a reader quoted on Twitter one of CM Life's columns and said they were upset that only white men have been writing about race and other social issues. She said it made her want to puke.

Those words resonated with me. 

While what the commenter said wasn't necessarily true, she still had a good point.

We need to have more students telling their first-hand experiences. 

So consider this an official, unofficial job offer from CM Life. Instead of airing your grievances on Twitter or Facebook, I invite you to share your ideas here in the CM Life opinions section. 

In the final two months of the semester, CM Life will continue to reach out to RSOs and other student groups to invite members to share their opinions and thoughts.

Our goal is to be the voice of CMU — the voice of the Chippewa student body. Help us achieve that by sharing your opinions and perspectives with us and with each other.

For more information, email opinion@cm-life.com.  

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →