University officials announces 16-person committee to conduct search for new athletic director
Bonamego, Guevara, Antonio Brown among members
Central Michigan University officials announced Thursday that they have selected a 16-person committee to conduct a search for the university's next athletic director.
President George Ross convened the committee and appointed Bob Martin, vice president for advancement, as committee chair. The panel will seek to replace Dave Heeke, who accepted an offer to become Arizona's new AD in late February.
"It's clear to me the world knows Central Michigan University is hiring an athletics director," Ross said in a press release. "This committee will have many high-quality candidates to assess and interview."
Through fundraising, facility improvements and academics, Dave Heeke has instilled his vision of a "championship culture" at Central Michigan.
The past 11 years has been a "true honor" for Heeke as he looks ahead to his next chapter at the University of Arizona, which reached out to him to be its new director of athletics.
The search committee comprises current staff, faculty members and former and current student athletes. The committee will include football coach John Bonamego, women's basketball coach Sue Guevara, former football player Antonio Brown and senior soccer player Kristen Knutson.
Heeke's last day at CMU will be April 1. The Lansing native served as CMU's AD for 11 years before deciding to accept the Arizona job.
"It was a tremendous opportunity to go to a major conference program that has a lot of challenges there that align with my skills," Heeke said in an interview with Central Michigan Life published Wednesday. "I wasn’t looking to leave (CMU) at all. A big part of my heart and soul will always be here."
Former executive associate athletic director Marcy Weston was named interim athletic director on March 8. Weston's temporary position will begin April 3.
The committee is expected to identify three to five finalists for the athletics director position. The search is expected to begin immediately. A list of the committee members can be seen below.
- Luke Anderson, Student Government Association representative
- John Bonamego, head coach, football
- Antonio Brown, former student-athlete
- Cali Clark, human resources representative
- James Fabiano Sr., national capital campaign steering committee
- Mike Franckowiak, national capital campaign steering committee
- Cristy Freese, executive associate athletics director/sports administration
- Sue Guevara, head coach, women's basketball
- Jan Hagland, national alumni board
- Bill Kanine, CMU trustee
- Dave Keilitz, national capital campaign steering committee, retired CMU athletics director
- Kristen Knutson, student-athlete
- Kevin Love, faculty athletics representative
- Alysa Lucas, faculty athletics committee
- Stan Shingles, assistant vice president, university recreation