Wrestling's season ends on day two of NCAA Championships

wrestling_2

Senior Austin Severn wrestles Old Dominion’s Kevin Beazley in the Chippewas match against Old Dominion on Jan. 27 in McGuirk Arena.

Day two of the 2017 NCAA wrestling Championships has ended, and so has the season for Central Michigan.

All seven competitors for the Chippewas were eliminated Friday, crowning no All-Americans. The team ends with a 9-3 record and currently sits at 19 in the national tournament.

Sophomore Justin Oliver was one match away from becoming an All-American for the second straight year, but lost to Solomon Chishko of Virginia Tech in the 149-pound weight class, ending his season. 

Senior Corey Keener (133) dropped his match to Josh Alber of Northern Iowa 6-2, ending his tournament. Freshman Mason Smith (141) lost 5-0 to Randy Cruz of Lehigh.

Junior Colin Heffernan (157) dropped his match 7-1 in sudden victory to Jake Short of Minnesota and junior Newton Smerchek (HWT) dropped his match 4-0 to Ryan Solomon of Pittsburgh.

Juniors CJ Brucki (174) and Jordan Ellingwood (184) also made it to the third round of the consolation bracket. Brucki lost 5-3 to Kyle Crutchmer of Oklahoma State, Ellingwood fell to Nathan Jackson of Indiana 9-6. 

severnaustin_1

Senior Austin Severn wrestles during the NCAA Championships on Friday, March, 17 in St. Louis.

in St. Louis.