Dog Central plans to offer ‘extensive’ beer lineup

Dog Central will soon begin serving alcohol after their application for a liquor license was approved by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission on March 16.

While its main focus is food, owner Paul McFall said the restaurant would serve an “extensive” canned beer lineup. The restaurant, which opened in 2012 and is located at 111 E. Michigan St., will offer happy hours and specials for beer, he said.

“We’re leasing the space next door because of space constraints,” he said. “The scene downtown has changed over the years. There are more mobile food carts operating, so we looked for ways to expand the business.”

McFall plans to end alcohol sales at 1 a.m. He doesn’t anticipate an increase in noise or traffic with the change.

At a January 2016 Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting, commissioners discussed and approved a redevelopment liquor license for the downtown restaurant.

“I think this is a good idea for our downtown. Unfortunately, a lot of businesses that start downtown don’t last long,” said City Commissioner Tony Kulick. “I think Dog Central has proven their staying power. This will only make them stronger.”

The timeline for when Dog Central can begin selling alcohol is still uncertain as the business is renovating its space to meet the Liquor Control Commission code requirements.

“The date isn’t final yet, but we’re in the final stages,” McFall said. “St. Patrick’s Day was crazy. So many of our customers were expressing how excited they were when they heard we were going to start selling beer.”