Domestic violence prevalent in this week's crime log
An email scam and a series of domestic violence incidents occurred both on campus and in Mount Pleasant, according to crime logs from the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University police.
- A 27-year-old Mount Pleasant man struck a 34-year-old Warren woman at approximately 1 a.m. at the Super 8 Motel located at 2323 S. Mission St. The woman suffered minor injuries. The man was taken into custody by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and transported to the Isabella County Jail.
- Central Michigan University police found less than a gram of marijuana in a Calkins Hall dorm room. A 19-year-old man admitted to smoking marijuana at an off-campus location and. The incident has been turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.
- A 20-year-old woman reported an email scam she received on her Central Michigan email account. The student was offered a job by an undisclosed email account. After responding, she received a check for an unknown amount and was told to deposit it and return a portion to the sender. She did not deposit the check and kept it in her possession. Officers are still trying to search for the suspect and the investigation remains open. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said email scams in which random email sites send bad checks to students has been a regular occurrence.
- A 50-year-old Mount Pleasant man was taken into custody for a domestic assault encounter with his wife, 35. The incident occurred at a residence on West Cherry Street at approximately 5 p.m. The woman accused the man of pushing her against a wall, he denied the incident occurred.
- A 20-year-old international student reported that he was harassed on the sidewalk near the Charles V. Park library. The man said a person walking passed said, “ISIS isn’t welcome here, go back to your own country.” The student reported the incident to an unknown university office earlier but decided to report it to the university police, According to CMUPD. Police were able to analyze video footage of when and where the incident occurred. The department said the video does not show the student being talked to by any passerby and the description given by the student does not match anyone in the video. Lt. Cameron Wassman said the statement was not threatening and the case is closed.
- An officer recovered less than a gram of marijuana and a bag containing a white powdery substance on an 18-year-old woman while conducting a traffic stop on Washington Street at approximately 11:30 p.m. A 19-year-old man was a passenger at the time, but the woman claimed possession of both substances. She was taken into custody for possession of marijuana and driving without a license. Lab results on the powdery substance are pending.
- Patrolling officers observed a 29-year-old man urinating on a tree near Lot 8 at approximately 9:11 p.m. Upon questioning, the subject admitted he had been drinking. He received a citation for disorderly conduct.
- Two men, aged 19 and 20, were issued minor in possession of alcohol citations after officers witnessed the two smoking tobacco in Lot 1. The 19-year-old was on probation and said the alcohol was his. Later that evening, at approximately 1 a.m., officers responded to a complaint made by Trout Hall staff about a non-student being aggressive toward them. This non-student was the same 20-year-old who received a citation earlier in the day. When officers arrived, they took him into custody.
- A 20-year-old man was spotted by officers near the entrance of Grawn Hall stumbling and appearing intoxicated. Upon questioning, the man could not tell officers where he was from and had trouble spelling his name. He was arrested for minor-in-possession of alcohol and transported to the Isabella County Jail.
- While driving on East Campus Drive, officers spotted a man urinating in the back of Italian Oven. The 23-year-old was issued a citation for disorderly conduct.
- A 23-year-old man registered a .18 blood alcohol content and was arrested for drunk driving. The man was driving 70 miles per hour in a 35 mile-per-hour zone on West Campus Drive.
- A domestic violence incident occurred at approximately 9:48 p.m. in a Barnes Hall dorm room. A 19-year-old woman said she had been assaulted by an 18-year-old man she was in a relationship with. The two had gotten into an argument over a cell phone, the man pushed her off her bed and started to repeatedly punch and kick her, according to the report. She was taken to McLaren Central Michigan for bruises to her lower back and forehead. He was arrested for non-aggravated assault.
- A domestic assault occurred on the 1000 block of Mission Street at approximately 11:53 a.m. According to reports, a man and women in a dating relationship got into an argument while traveling in a vehicle. The 54-year-old South Bend man then reached over and punched the 44-year-old South Bend woman while driving. The man was taken into custody for domestic violence and lodged at the Isabella County Jail.