EDITORIAL: Be prepared if you're going to party on St. Patrick's Day, look out for each other

Now that Spring Break 2017 is over, Central Michigan University students will return to the grind of classes and homework. Many are also looking forward to the “welcome back party” that is St. Patrick’s Day.

If Friday is your first St. Patrick’s Day in Mount Pleasant, here’s some advice: Things can get wild.

And that’s OK — St. Patrick’s Day should be fun — but there are some things to remember as you “fire up” in the streets north of campus and in bars around town.

Making a careless decision on St. Patrick’s Day could potentially have long-term effects on your life and future.

Last year, the Mount Pleasant Police Department received 158 calls, arrested eight people and wrote 22 citations on St. Patrick's Day.

Undoubtedly, cops will be patrolling to keep partygoers safe. They are not trying to make problems for students. They are enforcing the law.

Simply put, drinking responsibly will help you avoid any negative run-ins with police.

Friday will be a long day. Make it a marathon and not a sprint if you choose to celebrate the holiday.

Most importantly, don't drink and drive. Call a cab or Uber. It could save your life and also protect the lives of fellow students.

Drink at your own pace. Know when enough is enough, and always be aware enough to look out for your friends and fellow Chippewas.

Don’t go to class if you have been drinking.

Remember that not everyone will be partying on Friday. Be respectful of your neighbors and of residents north of campus.

To make the most out of the day, be prepared.

Have your plans solidified with your group of friends and eat a hearty meal before you go out. Make sure you check the weather forecast and have your phone fully charged because no one likes walking around in wet clothes with a dead cell phone.

Have a few dollars reserved just for food and don’t forget to drink a lot of water.

Spend St. Patrick’s Day making memories with friends. You can make good memories by being smart about how much you drink and how you behave, or make bad ones by being careless.

Every Chippewa has that decision to make this Friday.

An easy choice to make should be helping out fellow students or visitors if they’ve had too much to drink, or are in a dangerous situation caused by the festivities.

Let’s make it a fun, safe St. Patrick’s Day.