CMU eyes sweep of rival Western Michigan

With just two games left in the regular season, the Central Michigan women’s basketball team finds itself in the heart of the Mid-American Conference West Division title race.

The Chippewas (21-7, 13-3 MAC) will look to get back on the winning track Wednesday night against Western Michigan after losing to Ball State this past Saturday.

CMU and the Cardinals are tied for first place in the MAC West with the teams splitting the season series at one game apiece. If the Chippewas win against the Broncos, they will remain in first place regardless of what Ball State does on Wednesday against Eastern Michigan.

“The number one seed in the (MAC) tournament. That is what we are shooting for,” head coach Sue Guevara said. “We have a chance to win two championships Saturday — (MAC) West and Conference. Whether we share or don’t share, we are in a great position.”

After allowing Ball State to get out to a quick start on Saturday, the Chippewas couldn't overcome the deficit. Junior guard Cassie Breen said she knows what the team needs to change against WMU.

“We need to take advantage of our offense against their defense and get back to where we left off against Northern Illinois,” Breen said. “We need to revamp the defense and make it stronger as a whole from start to finish, unlike how it was against Ball State.”

Here is a look at the final matchup between the in-state rivals:

The first meeting

• CMU won 93-84 over the Broncos at McGuirk Arena, giving Guevara her 171st victory as the CMU women’s basketball head coach, tying Donita Davenport’s program record for the most all-time wins.
  • Breen led the Chippewas with 23 points on 6-of-13 shooting while going a perfect 8-for-8 from the free-throw line. Senior forward Jewel Cotton tallied 21 points to go along with four rebounds.
  • The Broncos Brenna Mobley led all-scores with 27 points on 11-for-14 shooting while adding eight boards.
  • CMU trails the all-time series against WMU 48-49, so a win would even the matchup.

Scouting WMU

• WMU has four players who average double figures in points per game, with Marley Hill leading the team at 14.4 per. Right behind her is Mobley at 14.3, while leading the Broncos in rebounding at 9.8 boards per game, which is good for third in the conference. Rounding out the scoring is Deja Wimby (12.1) and Meredith Shipman (11.6)
  • The Broncos scoring offense is just seventh in the MAC at 68.5 points per game, While CMU’s is second at 78.5 per. When it comes to scoring defense however, WMU is fourth in the conference allowing just 63.7 points per game while the Chippewas are ninth allowing 70.3 per.
  • Shooting 3-pointers is not a specialty of the Broncos, where they rank dead last in the MAC making just 4.3 triples per game. CMU on the other hand is second in the conference, making 7.8 3-balls per game.

Recent CMU play

• The Chippewas also have four double digit point scorers, starting with sophomore guard Presley Hudson who averages 17.7 points per game, which is good for fourth in the MAC. Next in line is junior guard Tinara Moore at 15.9 points per game. The remaining two are Breen (14.2) and Cotton (11.2).
  • The fifth CMU starter, sophomore forward Reyna Frost, continues to lead the Chippewas and the conference in rebounds per game at 10.9 while scoring 8.9 points per game.
  • In the last game, Moore had three blocks to pass Ann Skufka as the programs leading blocks in a single-season leader with 63 now for the current campaign.
  • CMU is second in the conference in field goal percentage at 44.8 percent and 3-point percentage sitting at 36.2 percent.

Closing in on a milestone

• Guevara has 297 wins for her career as a head coach, needing just three more to have 300 for her career.