Softball looks to stay focused heading into 'big week'

jab_6750

Outfielder Lacy Tolfree hits the ball against Bowling Green on March 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Margo Jonker said this week could have large implications for the rest of the season, so her Central Michigan softball team will have to be prepared.

Following a 3-1 start to an eight-game home stand, the Chippewas will take on No. 23 Michigan Tuesday and follow that up with a three-game series to end the week against Kent State. 

The Chippewas and Wolverines will begin at 4 p.m., while series with the Golden Flashes will start Friday at 3 p.m. and finish with a double-header on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.

“This is a big week for us because we are playing some very good competition all week,” the 38-year head coach said. “We want to be on top of our game, and focus on the process of the game like we always do and let the rest take care of itself.” 

CMU enters the contest 16-2 in its last 18 games and 3-1 at home this season. The Chippewas were riding a nine-game win streak until they fell to Bowling Green, 5-3 Saturday in five innings. 

Even after taking the loss Saturday against Bowling Green to drop to 10-4 on the season, senior pitcher Rachel Knapp still leads the way for the Chippewas. Knapp has recorded 133 strikeouts, and has an earned run average of 1.70, which is good for second and third in the Mid-American Conference, respectively.

“(Knapp) has been pitching good lately and it was clear that the weather played a factor on her pitching Saturday,” Jonker said. “(BGSU) still only scored one unearned run, so we just want to keep her relaxed so she can keep doing what she is doing and have some fun while doing it.”

As for CMU’s offense, sophomore center fielder Allison Curtis leads her team in batting average (.395) and has recorded 11 RBIs. Sophomore first baseman Erika Underwood leads the team in slugging percentage (.576) and is tied for the lead in RBIs with 14.

Underwood said her mindset at the plate never really changes, regardless of the outcome at the plate. 

“I just stay aggressive at the plate no matter what the situation is,” she said. “Lately, I've tried to swing at every strike I see because it is keeping me on edge at the plate and it’s been working.”

Scouting Michigan 

The Wolverines (22-7-1) come into the game riding an eight-game win streak. So far this season, Michigan has posted a 3-2 record on the road.

Outfielder Kelly Christner leads the charge for Michigan on the offensive side posting a .424 batting average. The senior has 22 runs batted in and four home runs to lead the team in both categories. 

On the mound Michigan is led by Megan Besta who has a 1.45 ERA and a 10-5 overall record. The right-hander also has 193 strikeouts so far this season. Right behind her is junior pitcher Tera Blanco 2.03 ERA and leads the team with a 12-2 record. 

Previewing Kent State 

KSU is currently 10-15 overall and 2-1 in the MAC. Kent State has lost seven of its last 10 games including four straight to the Wolverines in mid-March. 

On offense, the Golden Flashes are led by sophomore utility player Bailey Brownfield in batting average (.358) but it’s senior infielder Maddy Grimm who drives in most of the runs, tallying 30 RBI’s on the season.

Ronnie Ladines leads Kent State in pitching with a 2.14 ERA and 62 strikeouts, but is 4-9 on the year. 

Underwood said it’ll be important for the Chippewas to get back to what the team is accustom to in order to be successful this week. 

“We have to come out and play our best game like we always try to do regardless of who the opponent is,” she said. “We will try to play team softball and do what we do best, which is just being us."