Baseball looks to keep winning streak alive against Western Michigan

The Central Michigan baseball team is flying high following its seventh-consecutive win Sunday — its longest streak in two seasons. 

CMU leads the Mid-American Conference after winning six straight conference matchups and becoming the only remaining undefeated team in the MAC. The Chippewas have a current record of 17-14 and 6-0 in conference play. 

CMU is riding a seven-game win streak and hasn't lost since March when they faced Michigan at the end of the month. The Chippewas have won nine of their last ten games. 

"It feels good to be on a winning streak," head coach Steve Jaksa said. "It knocks another series off in a positive way. We just have to play game by game and one series at a time."

The Chippewas were scheduled to play at Oakland University Tuesday afternoon, but the game was cancelled due to poor weather conditions. 

With the cancellation, CMU now turns its attention to its conference rival — Western Michigan — who comes to Mount Pleasant for a three-game series starting Friday. You can expect to see starting pitchers Tyler Hankins, Dazon Cole and Pat Leatherman on the mound on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, respectively. 

WMU has a record of 13-14 with a 3-6 record in conference play. They currently sit last in the MAC West Division and are riding a 4-game losing streak as of Tuesday, April 10. 

Jaksa said CMU is looking to extend their hot streak against Oakland and WMU this weekend. 

"We expect to (keep the level of play up)," Jaksa said. "There's no reason for us to think that we cannot keep this up. Part of maturity is knowing that we are going to have a game on Tuesday and we are going to have our arch rival coming into the weekend."

Alex Borglin (30) and Daniel Robinson (29) lead the MAC in runs scored, while both recording 40+ hits so far this season. Robinson also leads the MAC with 16 stolen bases on 21 steal attempts. Daniel Jipping is second in the MAC with 29 runs batted in. 

First pitch Friday is scheduled for 3:05 p.m.