Sports management students host Angel Wings 5k for cancer patients, families

logo

Sports Management students are using their senior capstone project to support cancer patients and affected families.

The 40 students in PES 480: “Integration of Sport Management Theory and Practice” are hosting the annual Angel Wings 5k Walk and Run on April 29 at Island Park near downtown Mount Pleasant. Registration for the race will begin at 9 a.m. and the run will kick off at 10 a.m.

Angel Wings strives to make a positive impact for cancer patients and their loved ones. According to the charity’s website, it helps families who have lost a parent to cancer through financial scholarships and raises awareness about cancer through education.

Vincent Mumford, professor of the class, assigned the charity for the class project. The Angel Wings Fund has been the chosen beneficiary for the sports management capstone for five consecutive years.

Students in the class were divided into different departments such as public relations, sales and sponsorship to simulate a real-world experience of organizing an event.

Jackson senior Logan Burns, one of the team leaders, said the class hopes to raise $10,000 for their philanthropic cause.

"It's about supporting people," Burns said.

More than 60 participants are already registered to run, but the organizers hope to surpass 200 participants.

Registration is $20 for adults and $10 for children. There is also a family package for two adults and any number of children available for $50. Anyone can register for the event at www.eventbrite.com/e/5th-annual-angel-wings-5k-runwalk-registration-32904427027.

There is also a GoFundMe account for those who cannot attend the race but still want to contribute. Monetary contributions can be made at www.gofundme.com/AngelWings5kRun.Any questions regarding the event can be sent to angelwings5krun@gmail.com