Javelin shines as Chippewas compete in weekend meets

track
Stanwood junior Megan O'Neil races in the 1 mile run on February 25 at Bowen Field House.

For the second time in three weeks, the Central Michigan track & field team split up to two different sides of the country. 

Eight distance runners flew to Torrance, California, while the rest of the team stayed in Michigan for the Oakland Golden Grizzly Invitational. 

The Oakland meet was highlighted by sophomore Avery Joseph taking first in the men's javelin, hitting a career-long 59.42. This was his first meet since last year's MAC Outdoor Championships after being sidelined all season with injury.  

The women were almost as outstanding in the javelin, with juniors Wendy Szuminski and April Micheax taking second and third. Micheax hit 31.70, while Szuminski hit 37.19, a personal best by three meters.

California Results:

Megan O'Neil, Kelly Schubert, Kelsey Ross and Hannah Davis made the California trip for the women's team, while freshman Luke Anderson, junior Joseph Emmanuel, and seniors Silas DeKalita and senior Scott Cousino competed for the men. 

Davis led the way by setting an outdoor best in the 5000. She took 20th place in her heat with a 17:05.29-second finish. That record shattered her previous by over 27 seconds.

One meet removed from setting a personal record with 10:31.71, O'Neil finished 21st in the 3000m steeplechase this weekend, finishing in 10:44.10

In her 2017 debut for the 10,000, Schubert took 42nd with a time of 35:38.04.

Ross's time of 2:11.54 in the 800 gave her a 19th place finish.

On the men's side, Emmanuel shattered his previous career-best 15.03.20 in the 5000, this time finishing with 14:52.95. DeKalita was just behind him with a time of 14:58.09.

Anderson came four seconds short of a personal best in the steeplechase, finishing 33rd with 9:17.51.

Cousino set an outdoor season best in the 800 with a time of 1:53.20.

Women's Oakland Results:

The only first place finish for the women was sophomore Samantha Cuneo in the 400, who ran a season-best 54.32. Senior Lexie Mielke wasn't too far behind, finishing third in 56.89.

Cuneo joined the relay team of freshmen Ja'la Taylor, Nadia Williams, and Doofanter Nyamor to take second place in the 4x100 with a time of 46.93.

Nyamor also competed in the 100, running a career-best 12.20 for fifth place. 

Senior Michaela Bundy ran a 2:15.95 in her 800 outdoor opener, taking second place.

By hitting the 3.65 mark in the pole vault, sophomore McKenzie Wieber secured a second place finish.

Freshman Alana Thayer threw a 45.51 meter for a career-best hammer throw, giving her third place.

Sophomore Danielle Horton took third in the 100 hurdle finals with 14.13 seconds, followed by a 25.54 200 for fourth. Both were career bests. 

Two Chips placed in the top five for high jump with sophomore Emily Helfrich hitting 1.60 for second place and freshman Haley Nugent tying for fourth with 1.50.

Also with two top-five finishes was the women's long jump, with sophomore Kyra Harrison leaping 5.33 meters and freshman Ja'la Taylor with 5.26.

Distance runners senior Jamie Madrigal, freshman Natalie Beauleu and senior Katie Weiler finished fourth, fifth, and sixth in the 5000.

Men's Oakland Results:

The second first place finish of the afternoon went to sophomore Jake Peister, who hit 14.64 in the triple jump, his farthest of this outdoor season. 

Senior Dylan Banagis came home with the team's third first place finish with a 52.19 discus throw. Freshman Logan Targgart took third with 49.95.

Targart also won the hammer throw with 61.02, just centimeters short of a career best. 

Freshman Mark Beckmann ran a 15:32.55 5000 meter, good for second place in the finals. 

Roman Greco continued his excellent freshman season by taking fourth in shot put with a 13.44 meter toss. 

Senior Melvin Harris and junior Aaron Taylor both hit 1.95 in the high jump, finishing second and third, consecutively. 

Next Up:

Next for the Chippewas will be the Jesse Owens classic in Columbus, Ohio. Events will kick off Friday, April 21 at 2 p.m. and continue into Saturday.