Three-run fourth inning costs baseball at No. 16 Michigan

After taking two of three games against Northern Illinois over the weekend, the Central Michigan baseball team prepared for a quick turnaround to play No. 16 Michigan for the second time this season.

The Chippewas struck first in the third inning, but the Wolverines responded with a three-run fourth inning on their way to a 4-2 victory Tuesday night in Ann Arbor at the Wilpon Complex.

CMU drops to 25-22 on the season, but remains in first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division (13-5).

Sophomore Michael Brettell got the start for CMU and pitched 5 1/3 innings. The Fonthill, Ontario native gave up only the three runs in the third inning and allowed four hits while striking out two batters.

Junior Daniel Jipping went 3-for-3 on the day and delivered an RBI-single in the eighth inning to make it a 4-2 game. With the bases loaded, the Chippewas had their best chance to tie or take the lead, but junior Nick Stokowski struck out swinging.

Freshman Zack Kohn and junior Braxton Markle each came on in relief. Kohn pitched 1 2/3 innings and allowed one run one hit and three walks. The Wolverines extended their lead in the seventh inning on a throwing error by sophomore Evan Kratt.

Sophomore Daniel Robinson got CMU on the board in the third inning after a throwing error by U-M catcher Harrison Wenson.

Michigan pitcher Ryan Nutof got the win after throwing five innings and allowing only one run.

The Wolverines defeated the Chippewas 13-4 on March 29 in Ann Arbor.

The two teams meet again Wednesday in Mount Pleasant for a third and final matchup. First pitch is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. at Theuneissen Stadium.