Brown reflects on journey from athlete to assistant coach at 2017 Summer Games

After 12 years of competing in the Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games as a gymnast, Eddie Brown decided to give back to the program by joining the coaching staff. 

Now 25 years old, the Saginaw native serves as an assistant coach for the Area 22 gymnastics team. Last year, Brown was still dividing his time at the games between competing and helping the coaching staff, but he decided that the workload was too heavy. He now focuses all of his energy on coaching.

"I was still competing, but it was starting to get a little bit too hard to do your events while trying to help your friends at another event," Brown said.

Brown originally became involved in Special Olympics through his local gym, the Gym Jesters Gymnastic Center in Saginaw. At age 11, Brown was encouraged by his special education teacher to join the gymnastics team in August 2003. He began competing in the SOMI Summer Games the following year.

"(Special Olympics) has helped me out a lot when it comes to things like confidence," Brown said. "If it wasn't for this. I couldn't even tell you were I'd be now."

John Fry, the coach for the Area 22 gymnastics team, has known Brown since he first became involved with Special Olympics. Fry is a coach at Gym Jesters, where Brown had practiced for more than 10 years before becoming an assistant coach. 

"(Brown) was really a good gymnast," Fry said. "By the time he stopped doing gymnastics, he was probably the best in the gym.He has turned into a terrific employee."

Outside of his involvement at Gym Jesters, Brown spend his free time playing guitar and singing. He said he has dreams of pursuing a career in the music industry.

Throughout his involvement with SOMI, Brown has been supported by his parents Joseph and Martha Brown. Joesph and Martha have been attending the Summer Games as spectators for the 13-year journey their son has made from athlete to assistant coach.

"It's safe to say that I'm one of those fathers that wants to be more like his son," Joseph said. "I think everyone should experience what Special Olympics has to offer. It's changed our lives."