Memories and milestones made at SOMI 2017 Summer Games

More than 2,000 athletes took home medals, ribbons and awards Saturday as the 2017 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games came to a close.

The 45th annual summer games at Central Michigan University started with a parade of athletes to kick off the opening ceremony emceed by WZZM-TV news anchor Juliet Dragos and WXYZ-TV reporter Ann Marie LaFlamme. Friday started off the athletic competitions, followed by a closing ceremony and a dance party at Kelly/Shorts. The last of the competitions wrapped up on Saturday.

A sea of athletes, coaches, families and volunteers filled Kelly/Shorts stadium, giving out high fives and embracing old friends in the parade of athletes. The ceremonial torch was lit and run nine hours from the steps of the Capitol in Lansing to Mount Pleasant. Area 27's Lane Heximer lit the Flame of Hope to officially start the games Friday night.

109 medical volunteers had heavy hearts as the Opening Eyes program returned to the summer games for the 17th year without Dr. Philip Irion, who recruited volunteers and introduced the program to SOMI in 2000. Irion passed away following a brief illness in March. This year, the games were dedicated to Irion's memory.

SOMI Chief Program Officer Ann Guzdzial gave all credit to Irion for the 13,000 eye exams and 7,000 glasses given to SOMI athletes since Opening Eyes was brought to the games 17 years ago.

"If it weren't for Dr. Phil, we wouldn't have those numbers," Guzdial said. "He cared so much about educating people on why its important to have good vision. He really is the reason Healthy Athletes was brought to us."

In addition to the medals, ribbons and souvenirs, 970 athletes received free eye exams through Opening Eyes. Free dental exams and other preliminary examinations were also available through SOMI's Healthy Athletes program. 

"A lot of these athletes don't have healthcare and can't receive the necessary exams they need," said Meredith Tongish, a medical volunteer with Opening Eyes. "It's so reassuring to know we're providing these services for people who really need it and some who can't communicate that. This is my reality check every year."

Prescription glasses, sunglasses and goggles were made on site in the Indoor Athletic Complex and given to athletes who needed them free of charge, Tongish said. The medical services were made possible by SOMI's donors and sponsors. Special Olympics is the largest health care provider for people with intellectual disabilities in the world.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →