Four seniors named captains for 2017 football season

20160911_sposufootmb034
Central Michigan's Joe Ostman (top) and others celebrate an interception by Josh Cox against Oklahoma State during a football game at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday, September 10, 2016. MATT BARNARD/Tulsa World

Tight end Tyler Conklin, cornerback Amari Coleman, defensive lineman Joe Ostman and running back Devon Spalding were voted captains of the 2017 Central Michigan football team yesterday by their teammates. 

Conklin tallied 42 receptions and six touchdowns for the Chippewas last season. He was named CMU's offensive newcomer of the year last season. Conklin is currently ruled out after having foot surgery on August 9. There is no timetable for his return.

Coleman led the Mid-American Conference with 15 pass break-ups in 2016. Coleman and Ostman shared CMU's defensive player of the year award last year. Coleman was one of two Chippewas to make the All-MAC First Team Defense last season, along with linebacker Malik Fountain.

Ostman made the 2016 All-MAC Second Team Defense and started all 13 games last season, anchoring the defensive line.

Spalding led the team with 765 rushing yards including six rushing touchdowns in 2016. 

The Chippewas face Rhode Island in Kelly/Shorts Stadium at 7 p.m. on Thursday, August 31.