Mount Pleasant man in custody after leading police on chase

A 23-year-old Mount Pleasant man is in custody after he led police on a chase early morning Thursday, Aug. 24.

Charles Artibee is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail on charges of third degree fleeing and eluding, operating while high blood alcohol content, operating while intoxicated with a second offense notice and driving on a suspended license.

Bond was set at $2,000.

At about 2:31 a.m. Thursday, a Mount Pleasant Police Department officer tried to stop a vehicle for suspicion of drunk driving, police said. 

Artibee failed to stop, instead leading police on a pursuit that lasted several blocks until the suspect pulled into a driveway in the 800 block of Brown Street.  He parked partly on the sidewalk and front lawn of a residence.

He attempted to exit the vehicle and walk away from the officer, police said, but then complied with the officer’s request to stop. He admitted to drinking and failed field sobriety tests. Artibee’s preliminary breath test showed a blood alcohol content of 0.16 — two times the legal limit.

Artibee was taken into custody for fleeing and eluding and operating while intoxicated.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →