EDITORIAL: A newspaper by students, for students

Now, more than ever, is a time to value the institution of the free press.

Each day we are inundated by news from all over: our televisions, our phones, our friends. In today's aggressive political climate, it's easy to say either "What's the point?" or "Why do you care?" It's easier and easier to become apathetic, or worse, unsympathetic to our world. To our news. 

Here at Central Michigan Life, we want you to care. We need you to care. And we, in return, care about you. 

What does that mean?

Caring means we have a staff of students, your fellow students, working on the fourth floor of Moore Hall to bring you news ranging from football to the latest research breakthroughs in the academic colleges. 

Caring means we print twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays, and have your papers ready for you to take to class when you arrive to campus. It also means continuous online coverage on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat accounts and constantly looking for more ways to tell your story.

Yes, your story. 

Because caring, at its core, means we are a newspaper by students who care about students. We are not the voice of the university, though we do cover university successes and setbacks. We are not the voice of athletics, but we will print stories on wins and losses. We are not the voice of the city, yet you can expect to see city council coverage and reports of crime around Mount Pleasant.

We are the voice of students: your good and your bad. We want to be able to write about what you might be interested in doing this weekend around town while still tackling the heavy hitting stories related to politics, religion and everyone's least favorite T-word — tuition.

So don't give up on us, because after 100 years, we haven't given up on doing this.

It's easy to tune out. It's easy to unplug and not be involved. But we know CMU’s students hold themselves to a higher standard. And we expect you to hold us to that same standard.

If you believe we aren't giving enough attention to an issue: email us. If you believe that you have something to say worth printing: write for us. And if you're interested in being engaged: read us.

We want to make this year, like all other years, something worth remembering. Enjoy your time at CMU, because we enjoy covering it. 

So welcome back and for first time students, welcome to campus.