College of Business to host New Venture Kick-Off Sept. 6

047a0861

Traverse City senior Morgan Crocker, left, and Fenton senior Nick Dubiel, both from Michigan Tech. pose for photos after receiving the award of $30,000 for best overall venture on March 24 in McGuirk Arena.

Prospective student entrepreneurs could have a chance at winning up to $30,000 in funding for their business ideas. 

The New Venture Kick-Off will take place from 6 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday Sept. 6, in the Grawn Hall atrium. The event is meant to give participants a brief preview of the New Venture program and tips for how to succeed. 

Two teams from last year's competition will be at the kick-off to share their experiences with the competition. Seniors Bryan Caragay and Hailey Polidori, who won $11,250 for their idea for a smartphone app made by their company Scrappy Technologies, will also speak at the event.  

After the introductory kick-off event, the New Venture season will officially begin noon to 2 p.m., Friday, Sept. 15, in Grawn Hall room 258 with a workshop session. Following, bi-weekly workshop events are scheduled at the same time and place. Lunch will be provided for those in attendance.  

Hosted every year by the College of Business Administration, the New Venture Competition allows student entrepreneurs to develop their idea for a product or service over the course of the school year through workshops and advice from professional entrepreneurs.  

The student teams then pitch their ideas to a panel of judges on April 13, 2018.  

The award for Best Overall Venture will be $30,000 in funding. 

Students won more than $77,000 in awards was given to students at last year's event. Any student at Central Michigan University can participate in the New Venture Competition.