Transfer tight end Hessbrook looks to make his mark after standout career at Ithaca

After senior tight end Tyler Conklin underwent foot surgery on Aug. 9, football head coach John Bonamego said junior transfer Logan Hessbrook is the "next man up."

As fans in Kelly/Shorts Stadium watched one-handed catches from seniors Conklin and Corey Willis at the 2017 Spring Game, Hessbrook quietly caught four passes — setting up one touchdown and scoring another for the Maroon team.

The performance seemed similar to his prep days at Ithaca High School. There he played defensive back and wide receiver for Ithaca head coach Terry Hessbrook, his uncle, before going on to play at SVSU.

Logan was a football, basketball and baseball standout at Ithaca. His most impressive moment came in the 2012 MHSAA Division 6 Football State Championship when he stepped in at quarterback after Travis Smith was injured on the second play of the game. At that point in his high school career, Logan had only played quarterback on the junior varsity team. He was primarily a defensive player.

“He was our backup all year, but he didn’t get a lot of reps,” Terry said. “I would like to tell you he was prepared for that spot but I do not think he was. We had a streak going at that time. I’m sure a lot of people in that building thought the streak was coming to an end.”

Ithaca went on to win its third consecutive state championship over Constantine, in a display of sheer class from the converted quarterback according to his uncle.

The next season, Logan became a leading receiver and played on offense and defense for the Yellowjackets.

Terry said his nephew's passion for the game comes from just being a Hessbrook. Logan and his older brother Jordan grew up around the game of football, having their father as a linebacker coach at Ithaca.

“I think Logan brings a lot of passion to the game of football because he was one of the kids I feel embraced practice,” Terry said.

At CMU Football Media Day, Bonamego praised Logan.

“He’s been a big surprise,” Bonamego said. “I want to surround myself with as many people I can that have the same passion as me. Logan Hessbrook is undoubtedly one of those guys.”

Logan took an unorthodox route to becoming a Division I football player at Central Michigan University. Though CMU recruited him, Logan decided to play for SVSU because he would get the opportunity to play immediately.

CMU wanted Logan to gray shirt his first year, meaning he would enroll as a regular student but wouldn’t be on scholarship until the second semester after the football season ends. Gray shirts cannot participate in practice.

About halfway through SVSU’s season, Logan broke his collarbone. It made him realize the caliber difference between high school and collegiate football because he thought that he was going to score before being hit.

The broken collarbone held him out for the rest of the year. He was not able to apply for a medical redshirt because he played one too many games to be eligible. For an athlete to be eligible for a medical redshirt, the injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.

After speaking to his family and coaches, Logan realized he wanted to play for CMU, located only 20 minutes from his hometown.

“Logan came into my office and said ‘I’m not going back to Saginaw Valley,’ and I reacted like ‘Logan, what are you doing here? This is a huge mistake,’” Terry said. “Logan said he wanted to play Division I football. I could tell in his tone and demeanor he was serious.”

Logan is tasked with filling the shoes of who he believes is the “best tight end in the country.” Conklin went down with a foot injury during training camp in early August and does not know when he will return.

“With injuries at any level it’s the next man up,” Logan said. “Tyler is a big role model to me and I talk to him every day asking for tips and pointers.”

According to his previous coaches, the 6-foot-4 tight end from Ithaca has the size and ball skills to play well in CMU’s spread offense.

“Logan has tremendous ball skills,” Terry said. “He was a big high school receiver at 200 pounds so he catches the ball well. Now, he’s added so much muscle to his frame it’s a natural fit at tight end.”

Logan is looking to use some of the same skills he learned as a receiver his senior year of high school in offensive coordinator Chris Ostrowksy’s new spread offense this fall.