Board of Trustees committees discuss strategic plan, Integrated Health Studies Building

President George Ross, left, and William Weideman, right, listening to the speaker answer a question at the Board of Trustees meeting on Sept. 20th in the President's Conference Room in the Bovee University Center.

The structure of academic and administrative divisions will be reviewed in accordance with the Central Michigan University strategic plan. 

Ian Davison, senior vice provost for Academic Reorganization Initiative, will oversee three committees made up of faculty, staff, administrators and students. Members will be appointed by President George Ross, the Academic Senate and the Student Government Association in early October. 

Davison said Wednesday each committee will examine one of three areas: departments and colleges, other academic centers — such as libraries and operations of the university’s budget model. The purpose of the review is to increase efficiency, effectiveness and student success. 

The review should be completed by early summer 2018 and the implementation of any changes would occur in the 2018-19 academic year, Davison said. The last review occurred about 20 years ago. 

Rene Shingles, professor program director and internship coordinator in the school of rehabilitation and medical services, and Shaun Holtgreive, executive director of student affairs, delivered recommendations for improving university-wide diversity and inclusion:

• Move the associate vice president of the Office of Institutional Diversity to the president’s cabinet and change the title to Chief Diversity Officer. 
  • Change the Office of Diversity Education to the Office of Diversity Education Advocacy and Engagement.
  • Restructure the Office of Institutional Diversity and change the title to the Centers for Inclusion and Intercultural Engagement. 
  • Facilitate university-wide programs and cross-unit partnerships to deepen the education of the campus community in regard to equity inclusion. 
  • Establish a diversity and inclusion committee that would include members across campus and in the community. 

Claudia Douglass, vice provost of academic effectiveness, outlined the progress of the university’s commitment to reduce the number of credits for undergraduate programs to 120 credit hours.  Colleges are evaluating affiliated programs to modify the number of credit hours, Douglass said. The plan is to approve and publish the new requirements as soon as possible to go into effect for the class of fall 2018. 

Finance and Facilities Committee

University officials plan to break ground on the new Integrated Health Studies Building in March 2018. 

Jonathan Webb, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said designs for the new $26 million facility are being finalized. The building will be placed east of Finch Fieldhouse and is designed to facilitate learning among various health disciplines taught at CMU. 

Webb also gave updates on CMU’s response to the flooding that occurred in June.

After a full assessment, it was determined that 51 facilities and infrastructure systems were damaged. 

Fourty-six facilities are now operational and five infrastructure systems — such as roads, parking lots and utilities — are complete, partially complete or temporarily repaired.  

Twenty-six facilities and infrastructure systems require further repair or improvement at a total of $5.5 million. 

CMU submitted 6 notices of intent to the Michigan Emergency Management Office for a total of $3.3 million. 

Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee

Christi Brookes, department chair of World Languages and Cultures, and Department Chair of History  Greg Smith gave a presentation on new fall initiative, “Critical Engagements: Questions That Matter” in the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences. 

Richard Forest, associate professor in the department of English, Language and Literature, presented a strategic plan for nurturing student success by emphasizing general education. 

Trustees-Student Liaison Committee

Anna Owens, Student Government Association president, said SGA plans to meet with  Drum Major Brendan Wilk and Head Football Coach John Bonamego to discuss preserving and promoting spirit traditions.

Residence Hall Assembly set aside $5,000 to assist residencies with creating innovative alcohol education programs

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →