CMU sophomore Joshua Schafer, mother remembered; GoFundMe available for family

A Central Michigan University sophomore will be remembered for his loyalty to his friends and for his love for his family.

Joshua Schafer, a 19-year-old from Isabella Township, and his mother Kimberly Schafer, 56, were killed Sept. 8 when their vehicle struck the back of a Mount Pleasant school bus. 

The Schafers’ funeral services took place Sept. 13 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Mount Pleasant. Their obituaries are posted on the Charles R. Lux Family Funeral Home website.

A family member confirmed to Central Michigan Life Joshua Schafer was a sophomore at CMU. He began his first classes this semester after transferring from Mid-Michigan Community College.

Kim Schafer

A GoFundMe account was created for the Schafers. The fundraiser has accumulated more than $17,000 with a goal of $20,000. It can be found online at gofundme.com/schafer-family.

Joshua Schafer graduated from Mount Pleasant High School in 2016, according to his obituary. He received varsity letters in both football and wrestling. A member of Sacred Heart Parish, Joshua Schafer enjoyed hunting, fishing, lifting weights and being outdoors. 

The obituary states Joshua Schafer adored his parents, Matthew and Kimberly, his siblings and loved being with his family — including his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Heather Smith, director of communications at University Communications, said every time CMU loses a member of the community, it’s “tragic and heartbreaking.”

“We’re a pretty tight-knit community here so it kind of hits everybody at all levels — whether it’s a student, a faculty or staff member or an alum,” she said. “Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the family and friends.”

Kimberly Schafer’s obituary states she was a daycare provider for 19 years and enjoyed being a mother, wife and supporting her children at their sporting events and extracurricular activities.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →