CMU sophomore, mother killed in Mount Pleasant school bus crash

35969_29458_policept

A Central Michigan University sophomore and his mother were identified as the two people killed Friday morning after their vehicle crashed into a Mount Pleasant school bus.

Joshua Schafer, 19, and his mother Kimberly Schafer, 56, resided in Isabella Township, according to the Isabella County Sheriff's Office. Joshua Schafer was the driver of the vehicle.

A family member confirmed to Central Michigan Life on Sunday that Joshua Schafer was a Central Michigan University sophomore. Last week was his first week on campus after transferring from Mid-Michigan Community College.

Isabella County Sheriff Michael Main said there are no photos or videos to release at this time.

The incident occurred at 7:48 a.m. Friday, Sept. 8, on Weidman Road just west of Whiteville Road, Main said.

The Schafers struck a bus from behind that was only occupied by the driver, Main said. The driver did not sustain any injuries.

The bus driver was preparing to pick up a student when the vehicle struck the bus from behind, Main said. The vehicle went up under the bus.

The two victims in the car were pronounced dead at the scene, Main said. 

Sunlight may appear to have been a factor in the crash as the vehicles were both heading eastbound on Weidman Road and facing the sun, Main said. 

Mobile Medical Response, Isabella County Central Dispatch, Isabella North East Fire Department and a Medical Examiner's Investigator assisted the sheriff's department.

No other information is available at this time.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →