Mr. Shineyhead entertains audiences with ASL comedy

Mr. Shinnyhead 65
Mr. Shineyhead brings up CMU students to the stage to assist in his skit on Sept. 28 in Anspach Hall.

Using American Sign Language comedy to connect deaf and hearing audiences, Patrick Fisher performed at Central Michigan University at 7 p.m Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 under his stage name, Mr. Shineyhead. 

The event was planned to be held in Anspach room 162, but had to be moved a bigger auditorium in Anspach room 161 in order to seat the large crowd of students and fans that were in attendance.

The event was one of many events held for Deaf Awareness Week, hosted by the American Sign Language Division of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders.

Although the performance was done in American Sign Language, there was an interpreter present.

Mr. Shineyhead, is a performer, comedian and storyteller internationally known for his comedy acts and has been teaching ASL for 27 years.

In his show he performed comedy skits such as “Deaf Dogs Walking in the Park,” “How to Identify Deaf People,” and “Top 20 Errors ASL Students Make.” His acts were audience-inclusive; many times, he asked questions to the audience or pulled members up on stage.

For one skit, “French Café,” he pulled eight audience members up on-stage to enact a scene from a Parisian restaurant – volunteers pretended to be exhausted waitresses, chefs, pigs and chickens.

Mr. Shineyhead has performed at a variety of different events, and has different types of shows catered towards different age groups.

“I do university and deaf community performances, K-12 environments, camps, and different events,” Mr. Shineyhead said. “But it tends to mostly be at a college or university. I also do community professional theater, so I travel a lot.”

Rockford junior Nick Davis was one of many students who attended for credit of an ASL class.

“I didn’t really know what to expect when I was coming in, but I was open to it," Davis said. "It was really fun and cool to see him do his thing. My favorite part was when he brought a bunch of people on stage. He was really interactive with everyone who participated.”