First half by the numbers: Central Michigan 24, Kansas 6

Senior wide receiver Mark Chapman runs during the football game against University of Rhode Island on Aug. 31 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Head coach John Bonamego was less than thrilled with his team's 'sloppy' performance in the season opener against Rhode Island, and he let his players know about it this week in practice. 

It appears they got the message. 

At halftime Saturday, the Central Michigan football team leads the Kansas Jayhawks 24-6 at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas. 

After an inconsistent CMU debut, graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris has led a rejuvenated offense with three touchdown passes. 

With the clock winding down in the second quarter, the Chippewas finished a strong first half with an eight play, 90-yard touchdown drive before heading into the locker room. Morris hit senior wide receiver Corey Wills for a six-yard score with six seconds left. 

Following an interception by senior safety Josh Cox, Morris found senior wide receiver Mark Chapman for a 14-yard touchdown at the 10:57 mark for the game's first score. The touchdown capped a four play, 49-yard drive. 

Sophomore wide receiver Brandon Childress appeared to injure his leg while celebrating the play and is reportedly out for the remainder of the game. Childress made an over-the-head catch for 22 yards earlier in the drive. 

Morris found junior tight end Logan Hessbrook for a 47-yard touchdown to extend the lead to 17-6 with 2:59 left in the half. Hessbrook went untouched off a double-move to beat the defensive back and run free. 

Senior kicker Michael Armstrong got the Chippewas on the board with a 27-yard field goal to start the second quarter. 

After another stop by the Central Michigan defense, senior cornerback Amari Coleman fumbled a punt, which was recovered by Kansas. The turnover resulted in a 33-yard field goal by KU kicker Gabriel Ruiz. Ruiz also hit from 23 yards out in the first quarter. 

With Kansas driving late in the half, junior safety Tyjuan Swain ripped the ball away from the KU wide receiver for CMU's second interception of the half (eighth of the season). 

Morris has completed 19-of-27 passes for 267 yards. He also leads the Chippewas with 34 rushing yards. Willis leads all receivers with 85 yards on six catches. 

Here's a look at the first half by the numbers:

Passing yards: CMU 267 , KU 129

Rushing yards: CMU 57, KU 65

Total yards: CMU 324, KU 194

First downs: CMU 15 , KU 12

Turnovers: CMU 1, KU 2

Penalties-yards: CMU 6-52, KU 5-45