HALFTIME BTN: Boston College 21, Central Michigan 8

football
Senior quarterback Shane Morris gets tackled by Miami (Ohio) players during the football game against the University of Miami (Ohio) on Sept. 23 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The Central Michigan football team's practice was focused on eliminating opponents big plays and not making mistakes of their own.

In the first half against Boston College, penalties and special teams errors helped the Eagles to a 21-8 lead going into the locker room.

CMU pinned BC at their own one-yard line after a 42-yard punt off the leg of CMU punter Jack Sheldon. It led to a CMU safety on the next play, giving the Chippewas a 2-0 lead.

Another punt from Sheldon set up a score, this time it was for BC after a 61-yard punt return. Jon Hilliman converted a 6-yard score on the next play, giving BC a 7-2 advantage.

BC was driving in the first quarter when redshirt junior Mitch Stanitzek was called for roughing the passer on a fourth down, setting up a 15-yard score from A.J. Dillon and giving BC a 14-2 lead.

Redshirt freshman Kumehnnu Gwilly rushed for 39 yards, capping it off with a one-yard touchdown rush in the second quarter to make the score 14-8 in favor of BC.

Michael Walker had another return to set up Hilliman for his second rushing score, leading to a 21-8 Eagles lead.

Transfer quarterback Shane Morris struggled to move the ball again, completing 9-of-20 passes for 56 yards and an interception. 

Walker was the story of the first half for BC’s scoring as he set up all three touchdowns averaging 41.3 yards per return.  

Here is a look at the first half by the numbers.

Passing Yards: CMU 56, BC 51

Rushing Yards: CMU 81, BC 82

Total Yards: CMU 137, BC 133

Penalties-Yards: CMU 6-53, BC 4-22 

First Downs: CMU 6, BC 8 

Turnovers: CMU 1, BC 0

Punt return yards: CMU 1-2, BC 3-124

Highlight of the Half: On a two-point conversion attempt, Morris targeted quarterback Tony Poljan who lined up as a wide receiver. Poljan appeared to make a leaping catch in the corner of the end zone, but the call was reversed as he didn't complete the process of the catch. Poljan lined up as a wideout multiple times in the first half.