Love/Sick returns to Bush Theatre to kick of the fall season

19293_logoo

University Theatre will kick off the fall semester with a play about love, pain and pulling out guns at strange times. 

The group is performing Love/Sick, a comedic play written by Tony Award-winner John Cariani. The play will be performed in Bush Theatre at 7:30 p.m. between Sept. 6 and Sept. 9., with a final performance will be at 2 p.m. on Sept. 10. 

Love/Sick is directed by Steve Berglund, a theatre professor at Central Michigan University. He has directed more than 50 plays over his 30 years at CMU. The play is a collection of nine scenes that cover different stages of love, including love at first sight and the collapse of a relationship, Berglund said. 

Six actors play different characters within the scenes, including Shelby Township senior Jack Valutis. 

Valuitis, who also acted in the play during the summer, said the production is “jam-packed with fun and hilarious moments, but they’re realistic enough to be relatable.” 

Love/Sick was also performed in June as part of the Theatre Program’s summer lineup. Additional performances took place at Beaver Island and Whitehall. 

“The audiences for the summer shows had a great response to the play. One even emailed the director, praising the Beaver Island performance,” Valutis said.