MAC week one: Ohio, Miami top CMU, EMU

footballmackenzie1
Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward runs the ball during the football game against the University of Miami Ohio on Sept. 23 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

In the closest Mid-American Conference of the weekend, Ohio's Cameron Odom caught a seven-yard, game-winning touchdown pass in double-overtime to top Eastern Michigan.

The Eagles were handed their first loss of the season and Ohio was able to start off conference play with a nail-biting win.

In the other MAC game this weekend, Miami (Ohio) went on the road to beat Central Michigan in blowout fashion. 

Nonconference action was highlighted by Toledo and Kent State both playing against Power Five conference teams. Neither team had much success as the Rockets fell to No. 14 Miami and No. 19 Louisville blew out the Golden Flashes.

MAC West Division

Ohio 27, Eastern Michigan University 20

If there is one thing that CMU can be relieved about after their performance, it would be the Eagles' loss.

EMU's defense fought into overtime, but Ohio was able to top the Eagles. EMU is tied with CMU with a 0-1 conference record. 

Ohio quarterback Nathan Rourke threw for a pair of touchdowns and 197 yards, while running back A.J. Ouellette rushed for 145 yards to help control the game.

Cameron Odom’s game-winner was on a third down, saving his team from having to attempt a field goal. It moved Ohio to 3-1 overall (1-0 MAC).

Miami 52, Toledo 30

After falling behind 10-0 in the first quarter, the Rockets scored 16 unanswered in the second quarter to lead at halftime. The Hurricanes 28-point offensive show to end the game was too much for Toledo to overcome.

Rocket quarterback Logan Woodside completed 28-of-48 passes for 342 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Western Kentucky 33, Ball State 21

The Cardinals showed some fight in this game, scoring a touchdown in the third quarter to make the score 17-14 WKU heading to the final quarter.

However, the Big Red’s were able to pull away by scoring 16 points on the back of a 34-yard interception touchdown return.

Western Michigan 49, Wagner 14

WMU rolled over Wagner with 28 unanswered points in the third quarter.

The Broncos were led by quarterback Jon Wassink who had just one incompletion the entire game (11-of-12) with 165 yards and three touchdowns. Jamauri Bogan also had a solid game as the tailback rushed for 132 yards on 14 carriers while adding a score.

Other MAC scores

Louisville 42, Kent State 3

Troy 22, Akron 17

Buffalo 34, FAU 31

Middle Tennessee 24, Bowling Green 13

Miami (Ohio) 31, CMU 14

Where CMU Stands

Quarterback Shane Morris had a pair of costly interceptions while the defense allowed multiple big plays in the first half.

The missed opportunities in the red zone and big plays called back on penalties may have cost CMU the game, essentially beating themselves in a sense.

“All of these (MAC) games are critically important as you never want to go down in the MAC standings,” Bonamego said. “It’s still early in MAC play, you can’t allow yourself to get wrapped up in certain moments. I hope we get another chance to see (Miami (OH)) in the bracket, I’ll put it that way.

“If the big play with Amari (Coleman) doesn't get called back then who knows what happens. If the interception doesn't get called back who knows. If we finish inside the 10-yard line it could be a different game. We need to capitalize on those opportunities.”

The Chippewas are 2-2 and 0-1 in the MAC Conference. They have their final nonconference game on the schedule against Boston College this Saturday, then return to MAC play on the road against Ohio.