Mount Pleasant City Commission accepts $100,000 donation from local United Way at meeting

047a8847

Thomas Olver, President and CEO of United Way, presents a check for $100,000 after Mayor Kathy Ling read the Proclamation in support of United Way week on Sept. 11 at the City Commission meeting. 

The United Way of Gratiot & Isabella Counties donated $100,000 to support Mount Pleasant’s “Partners Empowering All Kids” program during the City Commission’s regular meeting Monday night. 

PEAK is a collaboration between the Parks & Recreation Department and Mount Pleasant Public Schools that provides recreational and educational after-school activities for school-age children. The donation was announced following a proclamation from the commission, which designated Sept. 17-23 to be United Way Week. 

Tom Olver, president of the local United Way, said PEAK shows kids the value of community service on an ongoing basis. This summer, children in the program collected nearly 1,000 items for donation to local food banks and raised almost $700 for Mount Pleasant schools. 

“Oscar Wilde said the smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention,” Olver said. “We see that constantly in our community.” 

The commission approved an emergency ordinance to amend the city code, which will allow waiver provisions for parking lot reconstruction projects. The ordinance allows the repaving of parking lots without approval from the city so long as the project doesn’t increase the size of the lot or increase stormwater runoff to adjacent properties or the city water system. 

The amendment’s purpose is to provide a cost-effective way for property owners to complete fixes to existing parking lots before winter, said City Manager Nancy Ridley. 

An ordinance amendment to allow the discharging of firearms and related items in indoor shooting ranges within city limits was approved by the commission. On the Mark Inc., a local manufacturer of ammunition, requested the change. The company is interested in constructing an indoor shooting range on their property located at 801 Industrial Drive.

The commission also approved a resolution supporting an amendment to the Central Michigan District Health Department sanitary code, which affects Arenac, Clare, Gladwin, Isabella, Osceola and Roscommon counties. Ridley said the amendment is part of an effort to preserve natural resources of the Chippewa River.

Commissioners authorized the following bids and quotations:  

• A contract with McGuirk Sand and Gravel for an amount not to exceed $19,000 for 2017 leaf hauling and an amount not to exceed $14,000 for 2017-2018 snow removal. 
  • A contract for $18,072 with Assmann’s Inc. for renovations to the Department of Public Safety’s locker rooms and restrooms. 
  • A contract for $38,900 with C&R Electric, LLC to upgrade the Pickard Street sewage lift station. Commissioners also authorized a $9,690 agreement with Consumers Energy to switch the station from primary to secondary metering. 

Other agenda items and approved actions: 

• A public hearing was set for Nov. 13 to discuss the proposed 2018 Annual Operating Budget.
  • A public hearing was set to take place Sept. 25 for comment on proposed 2017-18 funding for downtown parking lot maintenance, snow removal, beautification and groundskeeping.
  • Commissioners approved a resolution to amend the 2017 Operating Budget.
  • City Manager Nancy Ridley was given authority to sign a one-year lease with the Experimental Aircraft Association for a city-owned hangar located on the property. 
  • The commission received the Fall 2017 Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe 2 percent funding requests from city departments. Each year, the tribe donates 2 percent of revenue earned at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort and Saganing Eagles Landing Casino.

Staff Reporter Samantha Shriber contributed to this article.