Mount Pleasant Public Schools receive $5,000 grant for sixth-graders

35939_dsc_2549f
Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher speaks on July 26 during MAC Media Day at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

As a part of the Mid-American Conference push to create a community-based program at each MAC campus, Mount Pleasant Public Schools will receive $5,000 to benefit sixth-grade education. 

The MAC announced it is partnering with the College Football Playoff Foundation to provide $60,000 for elementary and/or secondary schools. The funding, provided by the partnership with CFP, will be for the 2017-18 academic year. 

Not only will Mount Pleasant Public Schools receive $5,000 to improve programs, but sixth-grade students will be invited to the football game against Eastern Michigan in Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Nov. 8. 

According to the MAC website, the funding will allow Mount Pleasant Public Schools to purchase more supplies and continue education programs with Central Michigan University.

“I am extremely pleased to see the diversity of community programs our athletic programs have partnered for this upcoming season,” said MAC Commissioner, Jon Steinbrecher.  “Our students, coaches and athletic administrators support their campus communities with events throughout the year and this opportunity only enhances our support within each community.”

Kaylee Vander Baan, a Mount Pleasant Middle School sixth-grade teacher, is thankful for the MAC and Central Michigan University partnership.

“The support from institutions like Central Michigan University and the Mid-American Conference is what makes the Mount Pleasant community such a great place to live, work, and learn,” she said.