Readings by English professors bring people together to 'share the experience of literature'

dsc-6628

Professor Matthew Roberson reads a short story to audience on Sep. 28 in the Baber Room at Park Library. 

More than 60 people filled the Baber Room Sept. 28 in Charles V. Park Library to hear readings of original poems and short stories. 

The event “A Reading by Jeffrey Bean and Matt Roberson,” included a short-story, fiction reading from Matt Roberson and a reading of poems from Jeffrey Bean. 

Roberson and Bean are both faculty members in the Department of English Language and Literature and were chosen  with one focusing on fiction and the other on poems.  

Roberson was introduced by graduate student Regan Schaeffer. Schaeffer mentioned the type of education and achievements that Roberson has accomplished are hard to come by. 

“Many of my classmates are now teaching creative writing,” Schaeffer said. “Teachers and students have created a web of influence and all that goes into teaching, writing, and publishing. (It) should be greatly appreciated”.

Bean and Roberson expressed their intent of bringing people on campus and in the community together who have an interest of sharing the experience of literature. 

Bean was introduced by senior Ashley Howell. Howell said Bean cares about all of his students and encourages her to share her ideas in class. 

“His class is often the highlight of my week because of the constant support I know I’ll receive,” Howell said. 

Howell noted that for Bean’s class, he has gone above and beyond to make it possible for students to skype contemporary poets after reading their work. 

“This has given us the chance as students to approach writers, seeing into their lives as poets, and being able to better understand their works," Howell said.

Upcoming CMU readings include: 

• The Wellspring Literary Series, 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 2, at Art Reach of Mid Michigan in the Morey Family Gallery with Tommye Blount, a poet from Detroit and Delany Lemke, editor for the Central Review. There will also be a solo acoustic performance by CMU alumnus Joe Hertler.
  • The Meijer Visitor Writing Series, 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 12 in the Park Library Baber Room with a reading from author Sarah Domet.